Sophia - CHAPTER 24

Today was finally the day. It was December 23rd and Sophia and Wade were flying to his hometown in Calgary, Canada.

Sophia was a nervous wreck. She checked they had everything at least 6 times in the last 12 hours. She made sure all her outfits are parent-appropriate and that she has everything to go into Canada.

"We need to go to the flower shop at the airport before we see your parents." She tells Wade while she checks her documents one last time.

"Already have it written down in my notes, Soph."

"What about your dad? What does he like? Should we maybe get some liquor or a 6-pack of his favorite beer?" Sophia asks Wade.

"Ah, yes, I'll go get it." He kisses the side of her forehead and runs down to the store. When he's looking for his dad's beer, he runs into Sophia's mom. "Talk about perfect timing." He says sarcastically to himself.

"Wade... Buying alcohol, I see." She says giving a judgy look.

"Uh, yeah-"

He tries to explain himself but she cuts him off "That's a sign of alcoholism, you know? Drinking in the morning and I'm sure you'll pick up another pack at night."

"Actually, Sophia and I are flying up to Canada so she can meet my family. She wanted to bring my dad something so I offered to come to get his favorite drink so she'd have time finishing packing up." He explains. He notices how Sophia didn't tell her mom about the trip.

"Only child?"

"Two brothers, actually."

"Divorced parents?"

"Happily married for 28 years, almost 29."

"Hm," Quinn says looking away. "Wonder where you got all these awful traits then."

Wade is about to answer but then Sophia calls him. "Yes, baby?" He says loud and clear so her mom can hear her.

"Can you get me coffee? I haven't had any today. Also, how long are you going to be? We need to leave in 20 minutes."

"I'll get you the coffee and I'll run to our apartment. I'll see you in less than 20." He tells her.

"Thank you, thank you! I love you."

"I love you too. I'll see you soon."

When Wade hangs up he has a smile on his face, satisfied with the words he used while Quinn was in front of him. Her shock made him feel better, too.

"Merry Christmas Mrs. Davis and Happy New Year." He tells her and he walks away without giving her the chance to answer.

He gets Sophia's coffee and as he promises, he runs back to the apartment, and when he walks in Sophia's all ready to go.

"I'm back."

"I see that." She chuckles. "Long line at the store?"

"Uhm, no actually. I ran into your mom."

Sophia's eyes widen. "Really? Did she talk to you?"

Wade nods and he laughs. "She definitely did."

"Oh gosh... What did she say?" She asks but she's definitely not ready for the answer.

"She called me an alcoholic and that she doesn't know where I get my "bad traits" from since I have siblings and my parents are still married." He explains.

Sophia rolls her eyes. "She just doesn't stop, does she? I'll call her."

"Before you do that. Why didn't you tell her about the trip?"