Sophia - CHAPTER 46

It was the night before Sophia's birthday and it was also game night. Usually, she enjoys watching hockey but tonight she can't wait to get out of there. Wade has to leave right after to go to Boston to play the next day, meaning that he wouldn't be there for her birthday.

"Soph, at least we're winning," Mackayla says trying to make her friend relax.

"Huh? We are?" Sophia asks and Mackayla laughs.

"Get off your damn phone and watch."

Mackayla takes the phone and puts it in her purse and Sophia doesn't know what to do with her hands. "Can you give it back, please? I was doing things for work." She lies.

"I know you were texting Wade, Soph. How is he going to answer you anyway?"

"He doesn't. But it makes me feel like I'm talking to him." She explains and then she taps the bracelet in hopes that he's wearing his and then she sees him smile on the bench.

She looks up at the screen and sees that there's a minute left in the last period and she couldn't be happier.

When the game ends she runs to his car and opens it so he can put in his stuff quickly and so they have more time together.

When she sees Wade, he gets up to him and hugs him. "Don't go." She whispers. "Please. It's not like they'll miss you in Boston."

Wade chuckles. "You make this harder each time, Sophia. You know I don't want to go. Especially this time."

She sighs and looks at the time. "When's your flight?" She mumbles onto his chest.

"12:30."

It was 11:00. Sophia sighs again. "I guess we should get going then."

They get the rest of Wade's luggage and then they drive to the airport. Sophia walks Wade to the gates where the other guys are.

"11:58. Two minutes." Wade tells Sophia. "How does it feel?"

Sophia looks at him pissed. "I don't wanna talk about it."

"Aw, baby. Cmon, you'll get to party like Taylor Swift." He jokes trying to lighten the mood.

Sophia just huffs and rolls her eyes.

"I heard Mackayla is throwing you a party."

"Yeah." She responds dryly.

Sophia got used to Wade being away so often but sometimes it just hit harder and bothered her. Especially this time since he was going to be away for her birthday.

The clock hits midnight and Sophia sighs for the millionth time that night.

"Happy Birthday, Soph. I love you." Wade whispers to her and kisses her head but she doesn't respond. She just grabs harder onto the sweatshirt he was wearing.

"Happy birthday, Sophia," Ander tells her and Sophia smiles weakly.

"Thanks, Ander."

Another silent thirty minutes go by and it's time for Wade to leave. He gives Sophia a kiss and a tight hug before picking up and getting on the plane.

When Sophia gets back to the apartment, she changes into Wade's clothes and shuts her phone off when the birthday wishes come in.

When she turns the TV on, the paused episode of Gilmore girls comes on and she rolls her eyes trying to hold the tears. She leaves that screen and puts on a random movie to fall asleep to.

Somewhere in the sky

"You okay man?" Ander asks Wade.

"Yeah- no- I just wish I could be there for Sophia's birthday. She didn't say it but I know she's upset and it kills me." He explains.