Chapter 42

"Roses lose their petals,
But they bloom again."

The bustling streets of Diagon Alley never failed to fill Kira with joy. Though most wizarding children were away at school, she spotted a few younger ones running around with their parents trailing after them.

The war hadn't failed to dull this part of the wizarding life. She hoped it never would.

She was in Diagon Alley to some shopping. She was hoping to find some new books and a gift for Thomas when he arrived at Irene's for Easter Break next week.

A small smile appeared on her face at the thought but it turned sad when she remembered Charlie wouldn't be there. All she wanted was to see her little brother again. Next year he would be in his first year and maybe then she could figure out a way to get him away from their father. She would not let him continue to grow up like that, surrounded by hate and death.

But she trusted Narcissa. She knew she was taking care of him and trying to keep him away from their father. It was the best they could do at the moment. Their father may want Charlie to grow up as the perfect Death Eater son, but she wouldn't put it past him to threaten Charlie's life if Kira tried to take him.

She wanted him safe, and right now, that was with Narcissa.

She turned a corner, the sound of her heels hitting the cobblestone path blending in with bustle of people. She entered a section of Diagon Alley that made her uneasy. It was empty. Too quiet.

She slowed her pace and moved her hand to her wand, the sounds of the street behind her fading as she moved on.

Something was wrong.

A figure exited a shop near the end of the pathway. His slow footsteps echoed through the alley.

His face was shrouded by shadows. Kira took out her wand and held it firmly at her side. He stepped under a light.

She nearly dropped her wand.

It was her father.

"Kira, darling," he grinned, twirling his wand in his hand. "How have you been?"

She clenched her jaw. "Cut the act," she said, her voice unsteady. She tried to steady her voice before speaking again, "What do you want?"

He smirked, "Kira, Kira, Kira," he tsked. "You think you can go on with Mr.Black and pretend you're life's okay?"

She glared at him. "My life is better when you're not in it," she spat.

"Well I have some news," he said, stepping closer. He gestured with his hand, "A little secret, if you will."

She stayed silent, she didn't care what he had to say. She wanted to leave.

"I did kill your mother," he said watching her reaction, "but you already knew that, didn't you?"

"You're sick," she grimaced.

"I have one more secret," he grinned. What was wrong with him? "I killed James."

Her mind went to the Potter's. No, no, they couldn't be dead.

"Not James Potter."

She looked up at him, what? "You killed my brother."

She screamed in agony, falling to the ground on her knees. She pressed her head to the cold cobblestone floor and screamed again, tears streaming down her face.

No, no, no, no, no.

No.

Her cries echoed louder through the walls. She watched it happen.

She watched her brother die.

If only she could've remembered who did it.

Her father could be in Azkaban.

She failed him. She failed her brother.

Her father's footsteps drew closer. When they came to a stop next to her, he bent down and pat her on the shoulder. He got up and walked away, leaving her in the alley.

When she gathered herself, Kira managed to apparate back to her home.

Thankfully, Regulus was home.

He took one look at her and pulled her into a hug, letting her crumple into his arms. He didn't know why she was crying, but he held her until she felt okay enough to tell her.

And he felt terrible when she did. He wanted to hold her and tell her it wasn't her fault but he knew that it wouldn't help. She would still blame herself for blocking out that memory.

So, instead, he held her and let her cry. He held her until she fell asleep and then he laid there with her in his arms and asked the world,

Why did his sweet rose have to suffer so much?

________________________________________

Here's me avoiding studying...hope you like ;)

– walkingmasterpiece xx