Chapter 37

"But he, that dares not grasp the thorn
Should never crave the rose."

Kira turned to her coworker, Deborah Mills, and offered her a smile. She had been helping Kira get situated in the Department of Mysteries. Next week she would be assigned to a section inside the Department.

"I'll see you on Monday, Deborah," she smiled.

Deborah chuckled, "Of course, dear, of course. Perhaps you'll be lucky and out into my Division." She winked. Deborah Mills worked in the Space Room.

Kira enjoyed that one and wouldn't mind being placed there, though the Time Room also enticed her. Though, whichever she was put in, she would still have to shadow one of the older employees for a year before becoming an Unspeakable. Even then she needed recommendations from those in her Division or the Department itself.

"Perhaps," Kira grinned.

"You must visit Linus and I soon," she gave her a gentle pat on the arm. "He's in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, you know."

"Definitely," she smiled. "I must be going now, Deborah, but I'll see you soon," she said waving to the older woman before leaving the Department of Mysteries.

Kira loved working there. She got to explore things no wizards knew of, and explore the limits of magic.

She checked her watch as she left the Ministry. The cold breeze from the night air tickled her cheeks.

A hand wrapped itself around her arm, pulling her into the darkness behind a wall. She tried to scream but a hand rushed to cover her mouth. She struggled against the form larger than hers before she was sucked into a spiral and was apparated elsewhere.

The gloomy exterior of an old building was the first to catch her attention.

The next was the group of five people around her, one of them being the one holding her back.

A high-pitched giggle brings her attention to the oldest Black sister, Bellatrix.

"Little Rose all alone," she mocked, waving Kira's wand in her face, "and defenseless too."

She looked at the person behind Kira, and said, "Bring her in. Our Lord awaits."

Kira grumbled as she was shoved forward, stepping into a dimly lit room. The Dark Lord himself stood in the center, surrounded by a few more Death Eaters. Lucius Malfoy, Severus Snape, and her father.

She gulped, refusing to look at him. She clenched her fists, glaring at him. She couldn't use her magic, she was far too outnumbered. She could not let him see how powerful she was.

"I'm certain you've heard of the prophecy," The Dark Lord began. "I have a simple proposition, join me and help this cause," he drawled, inching closer toward her. He brought his wand up to her face and ran the tip across her jawline.

Kira glared at him, fighting down her fear. She was terrified. "No."

"Then die," he growled, stepping back and raising his wand.

"Wait, My Lord," someone stepped in.

Severus Snape.

"What is it, Snape?" He snapped.

"The prophecy states that she will be the cause of either your downfall or your success. Prophecies are tricky. We do not know if killing her now will inevitably lead to your downfall," Severus argued.

Voldemort seemed to think it over before nodding, "Very well, you may go. For now."

Kira wanted to sigh in relief. How could he just let her go?

"But be careful, little girl. You will be given some time to think over my proposition and when I ask you to join again, you won't be the only one to suffer."

Kira gulped. She couldn't let him hurt her family.

He nodded to Bellatrix who grumbled and grabbed Kira by the arm dragging her outside, her nails digging into the girl's arm.

"I want to have some fun before you go," she pouted before it turned to a smirk.

Kira backed away, only for her back to meet the chest of another's. Two hands grabbed her upper arms.

"Not so fast, little lady," a menacing voice whispered in her ear.

"Crucio." Bellatrix muttered her wand pointed at Kira.

As soon as the jet of magic hit her she felt an excruciating pain throughout her body. She let out an agonizing scream before falling to the fall, curling in on herself in an attempt to relieve the pain.

The sharp stabbing pain went on for what felt like hours, poking at every inch of her body. A few tears managed to stream down her cheeks.

This was a pain she knew.

It had been so song since she had been in such a pain she had forgotten what it felt like.

The spell was lifted but the numbing pain was still there. She tried lifting up herself up on her arms but fell back down with a thud.

Bellatrix cackled at the struggling girl beneath her feet.
"Your wand, Little Rose," she glared, throwing the wand at her.

As soon as she grabbed her wand, she apparated to her front door.

Kira stumbled into the door as she landed before everything went dark.

Regulus sat up with a start at the bang at his front door.

Kira had not returned home from work on time and he was worried. He now knew how she felt, waiting for him late at night.

He got up, his wand gripped tightly in his hand, and tiptoed towards the door.

He pressed his hand to the door handle, and leaned forward. Pressing his ear against the door he listened for any sign of Death Eaters. When he heard nothing he twisted the handle and with a click the door opened revealing Kira's body.

Regulus' heart was racing. It pounded against his chest. No. He thought. He dropped to his knees beside her and felt for a pulse.

Still breathing.

He let out a sigh of relief and manoeuvred his arms underneath her to pick her up, bringing her over to the couch and laying her down.

Kira groaned as she tried to sit up, her body aching in protest but was pushed down by Regulus.

"Hey, hey, shhh, okay," he whispered, leaning close towards her and stroking hair away from her face. "Rest, it's okay, you're safe now."

Kira closed her eyes once more, her breathing still heavy. "Death Eaters," she mumbled before passing out once again.

Regulus moved back from his sleeping girlfriend and put his head in his hands. Pulling at his hair, he mumbled, "Death Eaters."

They got to her.

Voldemort knows she's the girl in the prophecy.

With that thought, he jumped up and ran outside. He needed to set some safety wards in case they came back. Just a few, so they would be alerted before anything else could happen to Kira.

He would die before letting them hurt her again.

Though, when he thought about it, in a way he was the one hurting her.

Sure Death Eaters hurt her, but he was also a Death Eater.

________________________________________

Hope you enjoyed!

Exams are finally over and I've basically finished grade 10! Next year is going to my hardest and most important school year and I'm ready for it!

— walkingmasterpiece xx