Chapter 12

"A sky full of stars and he was staring at her."
– Atticus

Kira and Ava sat in the library away from any other human contact to study.

Ava disagreed and begged Kira to do something fun instead. When Kira refused, Ava ended up following her to the library to where they sat now.

Kira chuckled at her friend who flipped a quill off the desk, causing it to hit herself in the forehead.

Ava glared at her and scowled, "it's not funny." She crossed her arms not once removing the glare from her face.

Kira smirked, "I thought it was funny."

Ava threw the quill at Kira, hitting her on the nose. The latter picked up a book and hit her friend on the arm, both of them laughing.

Someone cleared their throat and they froze, thinking it was the Librarian who had come to kick them out of the library.

Kira looked to the person, or rather people, standing by their desk. It was only Regulus and his friend Evan Rosier.

"Regulus." Kira smiled at the boy, who immediately returned her smile.

Evan rolled his eyes and muttered, "what am I? Chopped liver?" to Ava who then chuckled at his statement.

"Can we study with you? Surprisingly there are no open desks in the Library today." Regulus said.

Kira nodded and said, "It is rather strange, though I'm certain it's because the fifth years have a practice O.W.L. next week."

"I hated the practice O.W.L.s," Evan groaned.

Ava nodded, "They were horrible."

"I swear they were worse than the actual O.W.L.s!" Regulus complained and Kira nodded in agreement.

"Oh shut up you two. You got the highest scores in the grade!" Ava said.

Kira chuckled and looked down to her work. She needed to finish studying because they had a Potions theory test tomorrow and she forgot to study for it.

Five minutes later, Ava and Evan argued about whose fault it was that they got kicked out of the library.

Kire glared at the two of them who stopped talking before they started to argue again in hushed whispers.

This led to Regulus, suggesting they continue studying outside next to the Black Lake.

They all agreed and made their way to one of the trees near the Black Lake. Fortunately for them, the Marauders were nowhere to be seen. They did like to hang out around the Black Lake often after all.

They sat down by the Lake and took out their study materials. Though they were quickly forgotten as they started up another conversation.

Kira, however, couldn't help but let her mind wander to the Marauders, or more specifically, Sirius. She still couldn't forget what he had said about Regulus.

The boy couldn't be a Death Eater. Not with the way he joked around with Evan and Ava, occasionally throwing some grass at them, which ended with Evan tackling him and Ava showering them with grass.

She refused to believe the boy with so much light in his eyes would have succumbed to the darkness.

Regulus clutched the letter in his hand, rereading it once again to make sure he read it correctly.

Dear Regulus,

You father and I would love to see you at home this Holiday. We will be visiting the Malfoy's along with some other guests.

Mr. Rose has requested you bring Kira Rose with you. She will be staying with us for the holiday.

Sincerely,
W. Black

Why couldn't her father ask her himself? Maybe they weren't talking? Or she didn't know he would be there?

Why did he even want her there?

Whatever it was he knew it wouldn't be good. Malfoy Manor occasionally housed Death Eaters from time to time and he had no doubt they would be there this holiday.

He just didn't understand what Kira had to do with it or why her father requested him to ask her.

He didn't want to, in case it was dangerous but he knew he would only be in trouble if he didn't at least ask.

So at 2:14am he left his dormitory and headed to the Astronomy Tower, hoping Kira would still be awake.

Kira sat in the Astronomy Tower, she was ready to leave and call it a night when the door creaked open.

She turned to see who it was and saw Regulus walking towards her. She smiled at him before turning back to admire the stars.

She sighed, "I love the night sky."

"Why?" He asked, turning his head to look at her as she gazed at the many stars adorning the night sky.

"Because it's beautiful," she murmured.

He hummed in agreement, his eyes never once leaving her.

After a few moments, he remembered why he came here. "Kira?" he asked, continuing once she nodded, "My parents are requesting you join us for christmas break. We'll also be visiting the Malfoy's after Christmas."

Kira stayed silent for a bit. Why would the Black's want her to come over for christmas? Could it be her father? She knew it would be foolish to go because Malfoy Manor had to be crawling with Death Eaters. But, if her Father was there, he would have Charles, which meant she had a chance of saving him.

"Sure," she answered. If she had even a slim chance of getting Charles away from their father she was going to take it no matter the risks.

Regulus looked at her, his eyebrows furrowed, "Are you sure?" he asked.

Kira turned her head to look at him and gave him a smile that made his insides melt. "I'm sure."

He just hoped he hadn't put her in any danger.