Chapter 34

"New adventures."

Exams came and went like a blur, the only thing passing through Kira's mind being her NEWTs.

She spent the days studying and writing her exams, until the moment she walked out of her very last exam.

It felt exhilarating.

That small glimpse at freedom, no more school, no tests, no homework, no studying. No worries.

The feeling lasted for every seventh year up until graduation, up until they crossed the Black Lake in the same boats they arrived in.

The time was spent laughing with their friends and reminiscing about the fun times they had.

Despite many of them being able to apparate, nearly every Seventh Year chose to take the Hogwarts Express back to Kings Cross Station. How could they not?

Kira smiled as she watched her friends conversing and laughing about their school years. She looked at Regulus who sat on her right and intertwined her fingers with his.

He turned his head to glance at her, giving her a soft smile, before returning to his conversation with Evan and Ava.

The feeling of freedom left and Kira was flooded with worries about the future.

The future that seemed all too close.

The future that began today.

Regulus and herself would be staying with Irene until they got a small house of their own.

Soon they would both have to worry about finding a job, most likely at the ministry, and the war that was looming over their heads. Professor Flitwick had already written her a recommendation for the ministry as well as, surprisingly, Professor McGonagall.

She rested her head on the window and gazed out at the fields and mountains of Scotland roll by.

She had no idea what she was going to do about the war and it terrified her to her very core.

The real world would soon hit them at full force and she doubted any of them were ready for the difficult path that lay ahead for each of them.

She was thankful though. She was not a child anymore and could defend herself from the threats that the outside world laid upon them, but there were kids, not even in Hogwarts yet or any other magical school, that were too young to defend themselves nor did they have the protection Hogwarts held.

They were alone.

In a sense, so were herself and her friends.

They no longer had the guidance of teachers, and for some their parents. They were thrust into the world to fend for themselves and all they had were each other.

Regulus' hand squeezed her own and she was brought out of her mind. She offered him a smile in return for the one he gave her before resting her head on his shoulder and closing her eyes.

If she were to face this world full on, she was glad if it would with him.

Kira breathed in the stuffy, smoky air with a sorrowful smile as she stepped off the Hogwarts Express for the last time.

She grabbed Regulus the second he stepped off the train and pulled him into a crushing hug.

"I'll miss you," she mumbled into his shoulder.

"You'll see me in a week," he chuckled.

Regulus would be going home with his parents for a week. He informed them a few months ago of the relationship between the two of them but had yet to tell them of his plans to get a house with her.

Kira still had to tell her family about her boyfriend. She had been so caught up in exams and the prophecy that telling them simply was not on her mind.

"Bye, I love you," she mumbled, reaching up to press a kiss to his cheek.

He smiled, "I love you too."

She waved him goodbye as he made his way to his parents at the far end of the station.

Kira said her goodbyes to Ava, Avery—who had come to retrieve Ava who would be going home with him—and Evan.

She turned and spotted her sister amongst the crowd before walking over and pulling her into a hug.

"I missed you," Kira said, squeezing her sister harder.

Irene pulled away and gave Kira a look.

"What?"

She folded her arms, "Was that Regulus Black I just saw you kiss on the cheek?"

Kira smiled, "Yes, it was. I'm dating Regulus. Have been for nearly a year."

"Kira, he's a Black. He could be dangerous," she hissed, concern filling her eyes.

Robert put his arm around Kira and pulled her into a hug. Chuckling, he said, "Love, don't worry. I'm sure Kira has a good judge of character. Who are we to tell her who she can and cannot date?"

Kira smiled and returned his half hug. She reached out a hand to grab Irene's. "Trust me, he's a good person," she said in a soft tone.

"Irene!" Thomas shouted, pulling her into a hug that nearly sent her to the floor.

"Tom!" She said in the same tone, returning his fierce hug. "Merlin, have you grown? You're nearly as tall as Rob!"

It was true, Thomas had grown throughout the last few weeks of his fifth year and Kira had no doubt he would be even taller when he returned for his sixth year. He now stood at 5'9 while Rob stood at 5'11, the same height as Regulus.

"Come on, let's go home," Rob said, smiling at the three of them.

Irene and Robert turned on the spot, apparating to Raymond Manor. Kira followed shortly after, taking her brother with her.

As they landed one thought ran through Kira's mind.

Home.

________________________________________

Whaaaaatt? Is this an update? Yeppp!

I should be studying but I decided to gift you with a chapter. Seventh year is over.

I hope it was satisfying and enjoyable!

I have to go and study now. Doesn't help that I'm writing History, English, and Maths in the same week. I haven't even read the novel that my English test is based on soooooooo wish me luck✌🏻

Love you all! I'm so incredibly grateful for all of you!! <3

– walkingmasterpiece xx