Chapter 13

"Golden child,
Lion boy;
Tell me what it's like to conquer.

Fearless child,
Broken boy;
Tell me what it's like to burn."

Kira sighed as she stepped onto the train behind Ava, ready to leave Hogwarts for Christmas break.

She hadn't told Ava where she would be going yet, she planned to tell her on the train so she couldn't talk her out of it.

Regulus had sent a reply to his mother saying that she would be spending Christmas with them. She wasn't too excited, especially with the stories she's heard from Sirius about his parents. Regulus never speaks about them so she had no choice but to believe Sirius.

Oh and if Sirius found out she was spending Christmas there he would go ballistic. Which is why she led Ava to the front of the train, knowing the Marauders had a specific compartment right at the back.

Ava didn't question it at first and they arrived at an empty compartment on the far end of the train.

"Why'd we walk so far? There were plenty of empty compartments we walked past," Ava stated looking genuinely confused, though she supposed she was used to Kira's odd behaviour.

"Avoiding someone," Kira muttered.

"Who?" Ava said as she sat down, narrowing her eyes at Kira.

"No one in particular." She said and gave her a smile.

"That's your 'you're not telling me something' smile," Ava pointed out, narrowing her eyes as she did so.

"I won't be going home. I'll be spending the break with Regulus Black."

Ava was about to squeal when Kira shot her a look which refrained her from making a sound.

"By invitation of Mr and Mrs Black. Don't go getting any ideas."

Ava sighed, visibly deflated. "Why would his parents want you over for Christmas?"

Kira shrugged. She had been going over options since Regulus told her as to why they invited her. If it wasn't her father then it had to be something else.

"What if they want to set up and arranged marriage?" Ava gasped.

"I doubt it." Kira immediately pushed away from the idea. She had thought of it a few times but it was highly unlikely.

Besides, why would they want a Ravenclaw to marry their son? They were big on Slytherins only and whatnot.

The train slowed to a stop as it pulled into the train station. Kira took a deep breath of air and stepped off the train, looking for Regulus.

Ava found her parents and said goodbye to Kira, who gave them a wave and a smile. She was now left on her own.

She spotted Sirius and James with her aunt and uncle. She quickly ducked behind a few people so that they didn't see her and ended up bumping into someone.

"Kira?" A familiar voice asked.

She looked up to see Regulus. "Ah, there you are. I've been looking for you everywhere. Let's go." She rushed out her words, not caring if she spoke too fast for Regulus to understand her.