Chapter 39

"Against my body,
Your body lay like a warm soft star."

Kira smiled at Ava Blackwell as she walked down the aisle of her wedding. Kira, being the Maid of Honour, stood in front along with the rest of the bridesmaids, groomsmen, and the groom himself.

Kira could not be more proud of her best friend. Despite her not truly loving Rhys Avery, and never being able to, she agreed to her parents wishes and chose to marry him. Her loyalty to her parents and her wishes her put at stake and she didn't break. She stayed strong. She remained selfless, and while Kira wished she would care more for herself, she was proud that Ava had not faltered at the challenges she faced.

She wished Ava could marry for love, so that she could be truly happy.

Ava threw Kira a grin as she took her place by the altar. She sucked in a breath and looked at Rhys. She knew he didn't love her, and he knew that she didn't love him, but this marriage was something that was arranged long before either of them could even talk.

She was nervous, her hands shook as she brought them to grasp Rhys'. He must have sensed her nervousness because he gave them a squeeze.

During the reception, Kira grinned as she walked over to Ava. She pulled her into a hug, whispering "How are you feeling?"

Ava brought her hands up to Kira's back and sighed, "As good as I can be."

Kira pulled away, "Are you sure?" She said, scanned her friend's face for any sign that she was not okay.

Ava squeezed her hands, "Yes. You know, I don't think it'll be so bad. Rhys and I get a long well, so it won't be hell."

"Ava, have you actually told him yet?"

Ava bit her lip and looked down, "No."

She brought her hands to Ava's arms and squeezed. "Tell him," she whispered, her voice soft and encouraging.

Ava nodded, "I will. Thank you."

Kira smiled, "Now go, you have a lot of people to still greet." Ava smiled and waved as she made her way over to Rhys who was greeting some other guests.

Kira felt a pair of hands wrapped around her waist, hands so familiar they felt like her own. She spun around and brought her hands to his neck and smiled her Regulus.

"Hi," he whispered, leaning his head down to get closer to her..

"Hi," she giggled.

"I missed you."

Kira rolled her eyes, chuckling to herself, "I was only gone in the morning. My, oh, my, you are quite needy today."

He laughed, "oh forgive me, Ms Rose, my favourite piece of me was gone for what felt like months."

She pressed a quick kiss to his lips, "Well, Mr Black," she paused, "I'm here now."

The two grinned to themselves, before Regulus pulled her towards the dance floor for a slow song.

Walking over to Narcissa, Kira sipped at her champagne.

"Kira!" Narcissa grinned, greeting her with a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Narcissa, how are you?" Kira asked, keeping up the pleasantries in the crowd, though both of them knew Kira was eager to know how Charlie was doing.

"I'm well and yourself?" Narcissa smiled her soft smile that made you feel like all was well in the world and Kira couldn't help but smile too.

"Well," Kira said, "And Charlie?" She whispered.

Narcissa smiled, "He's doing well, I've been trying to keep him from your father as much as possible but it's become difficult with the lessons."

Kira's eyes widened. "Lessons?"

Narcissa eyes glanced around before landing on Kira once more, "Lessons to ensure he'll be supportive of the cause."

"Oh."

"I agree with you, you know, that this war is stupid," she began, watching the crowd for anyone who might hear her. "Involving children too? It's no good to them and it's dangerous, so trust me when I say I'm doing my best to keep Charles out of it. I wouldn't want that for my own child."

"You say that as if you already have one," she chuckled.

Narcissa smirked and Kira's eyes widened in realisation. "Congratulations," she whispered. "Does Lucius know yet?"

"I'm going to tell him this weekend," she smiled.

Kira reached down and have Narcissa's hand a gentle squeeze, "Thank you so much for looking after Charlie. I'm still figuring out a way to get him away from my father, but I trust that he's safe with you."

Narcissa nodded, "Of course."

Kira and Regulus' laughter echoed through their empty home as they walked in, falling into each other.

"The look on her face," Regulus laughed.

Kira giggled louder recalling the look on one of the Avery family members when a glass was somehow knocked off of the table and onto her dress.

The rude woman had commented on Ava's appearance and behaviour in an attempt to pick out every single flaw. She was not happy with the marriage at all.

After the incident, Kira mad Regulus decided it was time they left and spent the entire walk up to their house laughing at the woman's outrage.

Kira threw her jacket—or rather Regulus' jacket— onto the floor and kicked off her shoes. She was exhausted.

Regulus chuckled following after her. He took off his shoes in a much more gentle manner and wrapped his arms around her waist. He pressed a kiss to her neck and then rested his cheek against her shoulder.

Kira smiled, leaning back into him. "I need to go take off my make-up," she yawned.

He groaned. "You have magic for that," he mumbled against her shoulder.

She giggled, "And everyone knows it's better to take makeup off the natural way." She pried his hands off her waist and twisted to throw him a grin before making her way to the bathroom.

Regulus chuckled. He could not wait to climb into bed and fall asleep with her at his side.

________________________________________

I know I haven't updated in a while but I've been on holiday for those of you who don't know, so I haven't been able to write as much.

It's been quite the January and it's been a bit stressful but I'm getting back into writing. Sorry this chapter was a bit short but they'll get longer again!! <3

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!!

– walkingmasterpiece xx