Chapter 18

"Magic flew from her soul."

Kira sat in the library alone that afternoon doing schoolwork. She spent her time occupying herself with work to distract herself from the intrusive thoughts of her problems.

She was alone because she needed a quiet space. She loved Ava, she did, but the girl was far too talkative while Kira studied.

Her peace was interrupted by none other than Regulus Black.

He took a seat next to her, not bothering to ask if he could sit there, and shoved a book in her face.

She gave him an annoyed look to which he responded with a sheepish smile.

"Look what I found," he said.

"I'm busy, Regulus."

"You'll be interested in this."

Kira sighed and looked at the book. It looked old and there was no sign of a title or author. "What is it?" She asked.

"A book." Kira glared at him and he continued, "I found it in the Restricted Section."

"Restricted Section?" She interrupted, "If you get caught you'll get detention!" She whispered-shouted.

"Just look, it's about ancient magic. Specifically, wandless magic," Regulus said as he opened the book up to a random page.

"Anyone can do wandless magic, Regulus," Kira tried to argue.

"Not to the extent you can."

"Wizards all over the world can do wandless magic. The Africans don't use wands at all, we learnt this in History Of Magic."

"Kira, those witches and wizards have it in their blood. Even then, they would be so much more powerful if they had wands. This magic that you have, is more powerful than the wandless magic done by those wizards."

"How exactly do you know I have this magic?" She asked, sceptical to believe him. Her magic wasn't that special.

"You performed some advanced spells at a young age. Wizards who use wandless magic often have to practice over and over as if they were using a wand. There are more advanced spells, ones that haven't been used in centuries because no one is skilled enough to perform them.

"These spells were created by a powerful sorceress, it's said that only her descendants will ever be able to successfully perform one of her spells."

Kira leaned back. She could not be the descendant of some powerful sorceress. "How do you even know this?"

"My mother taught me. She taught us a lot about the history of magic, things they don't teach in school."

"Well who is this so-called powerful sorceress?"

"Dhara Horne. They say she was the most powerful witch to have ever lived. Not even Merlin was able to perform one of her spells. They're have been rumours over the years of witches who performed unbelievable wandless magic but nothing was ever proven. You could be a descendant, one who was lucky enough to get the genes."

Kira furrowed her eyebrows, "I don't think there's anyone in my family with the surname Horne though."

"Do you have a family tree?"

Kira thought for a moment. They had a large library that held a family tree on a tapestry in the back but she had never bothered to look further than her great-grandparents and none of them held the surname Horne.

"Irene has a book on our family tree. It was our mother's but when she passed it was given to Irene. I can ask her to mail it to me."

"For now, read through this book. Maybe you can practice a few spells," he grinned.

Hours later Kira stood in the dimly lit classroom. Regulus stood beside her. He found an abandoned classroom and invited Kira to practice her magic.

To Kira it seemed he was more excited than her, and she was excited. Though she remained sceptical.

Regulus handed her a book and she flipped through the pages, landing on a spell. It didn't say much about it, only that it was an attack spell and that it could turn objects into shards to shoot at the enemy.

She sighed and conjured a test dummy to practice on. Her gaze wandered around the room looking for an object to use. Broken pieces of wood sat in a pile off to her left.

She used a spell to levitate them to her and took in a deep breath.

"Here goes nothing," She whispered.

She whispered the spell and did the correct hand movements.

Nothing.

She turned and gave Regulus a look. "I told you it wouldn't work," she muttered.

"It was your first try," he argued.

Kira sighed and tried the spell again. This time, the wood vibrated in a slow rhythm before stopping.

"That was something!"

"It's probably nothing," Kira replied. She didn't want to get her hopes up.

"Try again."

Kira rolled her eyes but tried again. And again. And again. Each time she got more frustrated, putting more and more effort in each time she tried the spell.

She was about to give up when the wood levitated in front of her, pieces being carved into sharp dagger-like shards. She shot her hand forward and sent them flying towards the practice dummy.

She turned to Regulus who was looking at her with a large grin.

"You did it," he said.

"I did it," she whispered before running towards Regulus and tackling him into a hug. The two laughed as he picked her up off the ground and swung her around before putting her down again.

_________________________________________

Okay so there's going to be a few big time skips as they end their sixth year. There's like two more chapters until they start summer. And even that is gonna be one extra long chapter.

Hope you don't mind!

Also, there's gonna be a lot more RegulusxKira fluff happening soon ;)

– walkingmasterpiece