Chapter 26

Dear Sully,

I hate to recall that conversation in our last argument that your father and I had with you before you stormed out of the house, but recent developments in our circumstances have changed, and I feel that what wasn't said needs to be said now. Never once have we ever thought you were a disappointment to us, please believe that. When you were born, you weighed a whopping 8lb. You were a very bubbly baby, and every time you smiled, you had this twinkle in your eyes that melted my heart. When your daddy first held you in his arms, I remember him telling me, "This big man is going to make us all proud one day."

There isn't a single day that your dad and I don't think about you. What happened between us is unfortunate. Son, misunderstandings happen in all families, and as a young man, we know you have your perspectives on things that may not quite align with ours. But it doesn't mean that the conflict cannot be resolved. It is how we overcome those that define us as a family and as individuals. I am writing to let you know that we have forgiven you. Our home has become dull without you. We have full faith that you will come back home, and when you do, we will welcome you with open arms. I know for sure that you are still angry. But if you do not forgive, you are blocking your own road to happiness. Before you go to sleep tonight, think of all the good times that we spent together as a family. You are a brave man, and brave people have it in them to forgive.

Love Mama.

Two days before receiving the letter...

Byron.

It seems that everyone and everything has settled down, since Sullivan's Funeral. Mollie has decided to make her home here in Bannock, she said she wanted Locke and Gideon to be closer to their uncles. And I am touched.

At least Sully hasn't completely disappeared from our lives. I still haven't written to Mother about anything about this, how do you tell your beloved mother that the youngest son that was despised and misunderstood, really had a loving marriage and was able to produce two identical twin boys that have the same personality as his brothers but look exactly like their father?

I was lost for words, to be honest, but thanks to the loving guidance of Lillian, I think I am now ready to write that letter.

"Dear Mother,

Before I tell you news that you're going to feel devastated about, I want to tell you I feel that you were a great mother to all of us. I know that out of your three sons, you had some problems with Sullivan. Please know that those issues are not your issues, you did the best in raising us all.

I know this news is going to hurt you but recently Sully had gotten in trouble with a gang. He owed the gang members money. There was a terrible incident that happened. The marshal's daughter had been abducted by the gang members. Sullivan took it upon himself to rescue her because he felt responsible for her abduction, as he owed money.

A confrontation occurred and unfortunately Sully was shot and killed. I am sorry Mama, I know this grieves you so, since there has been so long an estrangement from Sullivan. Please know that in rescuing the Marshals daughter, Sully died a hero.

His memory will live on through his two identical twin sons, Locke and Gideon Paisley. Mama, they strike such a resemblance to their father that he will never truly be dead. Through his boys, you will always have a connection.

Love your eldest son, Byron Paisley.

PS.., Sully's wife is a striking red headed Irish woman who I know you will get along with famously. Her temperament was a perfect accompaniment to Sully's character and demeanour. Both of her boys will have that long lasting fire within them. Knowing this, I am confident that both of them will do great things in the future, a future that I know you and father wanted Sullivan to be. I also wanted to inform you that I too have found a very special woman and I intend to ask for her hand in marriage. I hope that you and father will make the trip here and be in attendance to my wedding which I am hoping will be held two months from now, as both Lillian and I will be sharing the ceremony with the Marshals daughter and her fiancé.

Love you forever, Byron!