Chapter 4.

"What do you mean that Dr. Brown has retired? Landon said as he stared at the woman who sat behind Doctor Brown's desk. Quinn Colt stared at the young man who stood before her and heaved a sigh of frustration. This would be the second time she has had to repeat herself on regards to how Dr. Brown retired and left her in charge. 

         "This is insane," he said. "I can't Apprentice under you! You're a woman!"

Quinn soon realized that speaking to him would be impossible, she could see that he would not listen to reason. So ignoring his obvious disdain for working under a woman, she turned around picked up her papers and headed towards its filing cabinet. She spent a good part of the morning trying to reorganize Dr. Brown's office to something that she would like, after all, she was going to take over Doctor Brown's position. She could feel the gentleman's presence as he was standing behind her, but Quinn tried with all her might just to ignore him. Why was it that men thought that women didn't belong behind a job where they took care of people besides Midwifery. Women were quite as capable as men when it came to Bringing children into this world, as well as healing any bumps, scrapes, cuts and other healing methods. 

  "I wasn't done speaking to you Miss! Quinn looked over her shoulder and rolled her eyes at him. "I realize that you're not done speaking to me Mr? What was your name again? Oh, that's right you said your name was Landon Paisley?" And seeing him nod, she heaved a sigh, 

     "If you really want to understand if you have to listen to me or not since now I'm your boss instead of Doctor Brown, why don't you ask him. He lives just down the road! He's just retired, Mr. Paisley.  He's 60 years old! If you can't understand that, why don't you just talk to him? Once you hear his explanation, come back to the office and I'll tell you what you must do."

What a little rude thing this young woman was turning out to be. On first impressions, he didn't like her at all. But he supposed, he should do as the young lady suggested and go and visit, The retired Doctor Brown.  Landon sighed heavily, he turnabout and slammed the door,  and headed towards town to ask for directions on how to get to Dr. Brown's house.

The day was coming to an end and the sun was just beginning to set when Byron walked out of the boardinghouse and stretched. Peaceful sounds of this western town he heard was very relaxing. No wonder he liked it here, better than living the city by far. He often wondered how Landon was coming along, but knowing that his brother didn't want him to involve himself and his new job or his new life, Byron shrugged his shoulders and thought of something else, he was about to head towards the saloon, when a vision of loveliness caught his attention from the corner of his eye.

The Young woman was of medium height, with flowing black hair, and beautiful tanned skin. It was like she spent a lot of time out in the sun and was far more beautiful then the young women he'd seen strolling down the streets in Virginia. He couldn't see the color of her eyes from this distance, but he bet that they were gorgeous. She looked to be around fifteen or Sixteen, and it sort of bothered him, that he was older than her. He watched as she made her way towards the building that housed the doctor's office. Was she ill? Or was she married or single? What if she was pregnant out of wedlock? He couldn't understand why he felt so much alarm for this young woman he hasn't even introduced himself too. After he saw her enter the doctor's office, Byron made his way across the street and kept on walking towards the very building she entered a few minutes later. Byron pressed his ear against the paneling of the door, he could hear voices coming from within, one of them was definitely Landon's, the other was a female voice, and it sounded like the woman was extremely upset. He knew that Landon had a temper and he knew that it was easy to arouse him. He hoped that Landon wasn't yelling at the beauty he saw earlier! As the eldest sibling he knew that it was his duty to try and control him. Byron knocked on the door and after waiting to hear a welcome or an answer to allow to him come in, but hearing nothing, Byron barged in.