Chapter 16.

Why must everything be so complicated?

Angela wandered as she descended the steps from the schoolhouse. It's been a week since the church social, and she felt like Johnathan wasn't going to do anything further regards to their relationship. She understood that he was being trained to be a deputy, and his days could be busy. But couldn't he find some time to set aside so that he can spend more time with her?

As she was turning the corner and was heading towards her father's office, Angela saw and heard a violent conversation coming from the back of the Silver Garder. Even though her father repeatedly told her that it was dangerous and foolish to eavesdrop, Angela made her way to the shadowed corner of the building next door to the saloon and watched the commotion unfold.

She didn't recognize the man who is being bullied. But the two who were doing the bullying made Angela cringe in nervous fear. The two men were well known by her father to be a dangerous bank and stagecoach thieves. She also knew that they were wanted for murder and that the poster she saw in her father's office mentioned that the reward was$1,000.

Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard the man that was being bullied squeal in pain. Again she brought her eyes back to the commotion. Angela strained her ears, hoping to hear what was really going on, but all she heard were heavy Fists hitting human flesh. And with each punch, Angela cringed all the more.

     "Where is our money, Sullivan? You didn't waste it all on cheap booze and whores, did you? Because if you have, I can easily demonstrate why I'm wanted by the law." 

Luke Gilly said as he slammed Sullivan up against the back of the saloon and pressed his fingers into his neck. He could see the fear in the man's eyes.

   "I'm going to give you one last chance, if you botch this up, I promise you that you will regret meeting me and being born. Got It?"

With fear in his eyes, Sullivan nodded quickly and vacated it out of the alleyway. Angela hesitated for a second. She wanted to get a better look at the two men who threatened that man. She was sure, she saw the wanted posters in her father's office. When the second man turned to his partner and his face partially came into view, Angela gasped. Those two men were notorious in this area, The Gilly gang was wanted for $25,000 dollars in Texas and Nebraska. She only wondered what it was that brought them here to Bannock. As she was sneaking away, her book knocked over a few glass bottles that were placed next to a wooden crate that she was crouched behind. When she noticed that they heard her, Angela crouched even further to the ground and kept as silent as she could, praying that they wouldn't find her.

        "Well! Look who we have, Father. A sneaking little eavesdropper. What should we do with her?" Luke said as he spat out a wad of tobacco and sneered at her.

He then grabbed a hold of the collar of her dress. When they had her facing them, Angela spat in their face. Which was probably not a wise move, because they slapped her hard across the face.

   "How dare you touch me!" She shouted at him.

   "If my father catches you with me, you'll be a dead man!"

Both Luke and Andy Gilly stared at her for a brief moment then looked at each other, then they both burst out laughing.

    "And who pray to tell, is your father?" Andy said in a sneer.

Angela gulped and closed her eyes. She knew that she shouldn't mention her father's name, but what other choice did she have? She had enough confidence in her father and Jonathan, she was positive, that they would both be able to find her if these men did take her hostage. Luke shook her again, he shook her so hard, that it felt like her teeth rattled.

   "He's..., the marshall. Marshall Ramsay Colt is my father!" She all but screamed at them.

But when Angela saw the conniving grin on both of their faces, she worried that she had said too much.