Chapter 15.

Byron was crossing the road as he was heading towards the blacksmith shop. Chase wanted him to get some horseshoes repaired, when he heard the unmistakable sound of the train whistle, just pulling into town. He couldn't believe that he made a new life here and away from the hustle and bustle of the big city. This was a far cry difference from city life that was for sure. Ten minutes later, with half of the horseshoes put away in a crate that was in his arms, Byron suddenly heard the sound of running feet and children's laughter behind him. Byron smiled for he knew, who it was! Byron set down the crate at his feet, just in time to catch hold of Tommy and he began to swing him into the air.

"Byron! Byron... You got to hide me!" He said laughing as he hid behind his legs. Byron laughed along with him, as he asked him what seemed to be the problem. "Mama is trying to take me to my Auntie, for a checkup and to get a shot. Ooh..., I hate needles." He said as he continued to hide behind him. Glancing up, Byron caught sight of Lillian coming their way, with a determined look on her face. With her hands sitting fully on her hips, Byron's grin became wider. He wondered if his mother would accept Lillian as her future daughter in law. That is if Byron could gather up the courage to write to her and to inform her that he has fallen in love with his very own goddess.

"Byron? Have you seen Tommy anywhere today? When I informed him that it was time to get a checkup, he ran! What am I to do?" Byron didn't say anything for a moment, he just grinned at her and motioned with his eyes, where the little scamp was hiding. Looking down, Lillian turned a little and saw her son's skinny legs standing behind him. Gesturing for Byron to be quiet, with her finger raised to her mouth, Lillian tiptoed to the opposite side, then with a flourish, Lillian grabbed a hold of Tommy and gathered him into her arms. "You little scamp, what am I to do with you young man? Come on, let's get going Auntie Quinn is waiting for us." Tommy started to cry and was trying to get out of his mother's arms. He was reaching out for Byron. "But mama, I don't want to go! I'm scared. Can't Byron come with me?" Lillian rolled her eyes at her son's hysterics, then she turned around and stared at Byron, sighing heavily she asked him what Tommy wanted. "Would you mind accompanying us, Byron?"

Byron smiled. "Wouldn't mind if I do Lil. But first, give me the chance to deliver these horseshoes back to Chase!" He said as he stooped over and picked up the crate that he settled down earlier. Lillian nodded. "Why don't we both accompany you back to the livery, since the doctor's office is just three buildings away? Besides, I need to speak with Chase anyway!" "Sure, sweetheart. You're welcome to tag along." He said as he placed a tender and soft kiss on her cheek.

It was approaching sundown, and Byron had just closed up the Livery. He had to do it all alone because Chase had to leave early because his family finally got some news on regarding his sister's location. Byron sighed heavily and decided what he needed after a long and backbreaking day was either a cold beer or a glass of whiskey. He was halfway towards the saloon when he happened to see Landon making his way towards him waving a telegram in his hand. Pausing, Byron waited for Landon to make it over to him.

"What's wrong Lan? What has gotten you all fired up?" After catching his breath, Landon handed him a slip of paper that he received from the post office earlier that afternoon. "That telegram that we got a few days ago, was bogus. Apparently, Sullivan was the one who wrote it as a practical joke. This is the real one. Mother says that, after father stopped Sully's allowance, Sulivan flipped right out and almost caused father harm. She said that he became so violent, that he beat up our father to the point that he was sent to the hospital in Union City and that she warns us to be wary of him. She doesn't know if, what he said about showing up here was true or not, but she said that Sullivan said that he blames the both of us for ditching the family and ruining his life!" Byron sighed and rolled his eyes in exasperation. "Come on, let's worry about our little brother later. Come and join me in the saloon for a beer, then after we relax a bit, we can figure out what we are to do about him. Nodding, Landon smiled and patted his brother on the back.

They were just about to enter the Saloon when there was a commotion coming from within the establishment. Both Byron and Landon just stood there and watched the situation unfold, as they didn't want to get involved and become embarrassed when they had to get treated by Quinn, even though Landon was a doctor too. The sound of tables getting overturned and glass breaking made them both hesitate all the more, suddenly the commotion ceased somewhat when the bouncers that were employed in the Silver Garter Saloon came striding out the door, with an equally angry man, struggling in their arms. The Bouncers, whom Landon met briefly a few days ago, were none other than Paul and Brandon Eden, Savannah Colt's brothers. The job suited them, because they were both strong men, and could easily intimidate anyone who was causing problems within the Saloon. The doors to the saloon slammed shut after the man was thrown out to the street. Being a doctor, Landon rushed over to the fallen man in an attempt to help him up to his feet and to see if he needed to be healed. The man shook off Landon's hand from his arm and staggered back to his feet and wiped away the blood from his lips.

"Are ok sir? If you need any medicine, I could take you to the doctor's office to get you treated." Without warning, Landon was punched in the gut and found himself sprawling on the ground. Byron immediately came rushing into the conflict and was about to grab a hold of the stranger and punch him, when he stopped his fist in mid-air and just stared at the man that stood before him. "Sully? What the hell are you doing here in Bannack? Does mother and father know that you are here?"

Sullivan Paisley pushed himself away from his brother and spat some blood from his mouth to the ground. "Hey, Big Brother!" He said in a rude and dark tone. "Thanks for ruining my life!"

Byron folded his arms against his chest, "What are you talking about? I didn't ruin your life little brother, and neither has Landon. You did that solely on your own. Did you honestly think that father would continue funding you when you were mentioned constantly among the peerage and embarrassing our father?" Sullivan sneered, and pushed his big brother away from him, "Bugger off will ya! Just because you are the oldest sibling, doesn't mean that you get the final say. It's my life By, I can do what I want with it. I can't be in constant competition with both of you. I certainly don't have the book smarts that Landon has, and I don't have the know-how that you possess! And it's not like father takes me seriously anyway, what else am I supposed to do?"

Landon got back to his feet and took revenge against his little brother, by punching him hard in the gut and then finishing off with a sharp punch to his chin. Sullivan went flying. Groaning, Sullivan held up his hands to guard against Landon. "Ok, I surrender. Dammit Lan, where the hell did you learn to fight like that?" Landon grinned. He then dusted off the trail dust from his clothes and grabbed a hold of Sullivan's arm and yanked, bringing him to his feet. "What? You think that just because I am a doctor and that I heal people, that I don't know how to fight or to defend myself? Sorry to disappoint you.