Chapter 17.

Byron.

I was cleaning out the stall of our newest stallion when a knock interrupted my chores and my quiet thoughts. I looked up and turned around to see who it could be. I set aside the shovel and walked around the wheelbarrow as I made my way to the front doors of the livery. When I saw Chase speaking to Sherriff Aaron Weiss, in a harsh tone, I became even more curious. As I approached them and was able to hear the end of the conversation. When I picked up the name of Angela Colt I suddenly became alarmed. What happened? Taking off my gloves and casting them aside, I made my way towards the entrance, only to see Chase getting his horse ready.

"Chase? What has happened? Is there anything you want me to do?" Byron asked him. I could see the hesitation in Chase's eyes, he probably thought that since I was a new employee, he wasn't sure if he could trust me. I think he gave in though, when he sighed heavily and closed his eyes in concentration.

" My cousin, Angela, has been kidnapped by two thugs who used to lead the Gilly Gang. Their demanding ransom, and if we do not give them what they want, they threatened to kill her!! If you want to help, please gather all the men you can find in the saloon and form a posse. I'm going to ride on ahead and reassess the situation and try to come up with a plan."

I furrowed his brow, "Why are you taking the lead in this case? Shouldn't Sherriff Weiss or better yet Marshall Colt be leading the posse?" Chase sighed again.

"My  uncle was called away for another case and Sherriff Weiss's wife has gone into labor and he does not want to leave her side. So he has just deputized me and made me acting sheriff. Now hurry and go do what I ordered." With that Chase turned his horse around and raced away.

I brushed my hand against my slacks and started making my way to the Silver Garter, I became friends with the proprietor when I was trying to stop my idiot of a younger brother from causing trouble in the saloon. When I walked in, the atmosphere was the same. Though it was still early, the saloon was packed. No doubt it was caused by the newest arrival of the singer Miss Adela Bonney. I saw Garret Ambler, the proprietor leaning against the bar and chatting it up with the bartender Reuben Postal. When he looked up and saw me, he smiled and waved me over. When I got to his side, he started getting my usual drink ready, but I stopped him when I laid my hand on his arm and shook my head.

"What seems to be the matter, Byron?" I whispered into his ear and told him what I needed. He nodded silently and called a halt to the piano man's playing. He then made his way to the stage that was in the back of the room and made the announcement that I just explained to him. "Gents, can I have your attention. Byron Paisley has just informed me that he needs our help. It seems, that Miss Angela Colt has been kidnapped, and he needs some men to form a posse. Are there any takers?" Thankfully more than fifty men volunteered. We all assembled in front of the livery and mounted up on our horses and started heading in the direction of the mine.

Meanwhile Somewhere in the mine...,

Angela.

The filthy rag was finally removed from my mouth, and I moistened my lips with my tongue. I looked around me and realized that my attackers took me to the gold mine. I knew exactly where I was because I used to come here often to visit both of my uncles, Paul, and Brandon when they were younger. I played hide and seek here with Drake a lot. The men who took me were talking with each other with their backs turned. Stupid morons, I thought. Drake and I would always play prisoner here in the mine, and we practiced tying ourselves up and trying to escape from our bonds. Drake couldn't understand how I always managed to get free, every time he tied the ropes in knots. But I succeeded every time. So while their backs were still turned from me, I twisted my hands back and forth and started loosening the ropes. In a few minutes, my hands were free. I guess they thought that since I was a girl that I was helpless. They should have known that being a Marshall's daughter, I would know a few tricks and that I could rescue myself if I calmed down and didn't panic. I looked beside me and saw a rather large rock. I quietly crawled towards it and grabbed it. Then on silent feet, I tiptoed over towards them and hit the shorter one on the head. But as he was collapsing to the ground I managed to grab his gun from his belt and I held it up to the other man.

"Don't you dare make a move, I know how to use this weapon, and I won't hesitate to use it on you if you try anything," I said as I shouted at him. The other man just stood there for a moment then he burst out laughing. "What are you going to do girly?" He said as he wiped a tear from his eye. Then he motioned over to the man that was on the ground and asked him if he was okay. When I heard the other man groan, I gulped. I was about to pull the trigger on the gun when I felt the other man's hands on my shoulders. He restrained me easily and took away the gun and held my hands behind me in a tight and painful hold.

"Did you honestly think, that a little rock would really knock my father out? You may be a feisty little thing, but you're still dumb if you think a little girl can outsmart two violent and ruthless criminals." I smiled when he said that. The ring leader looked confused when he saw me smiling. "What has gotten you so happy, if you haven't figured it out yet, you're in our possession and won't escape alive!!" They said in unison, as they laughed together.

"I wouldn't be laughing right now if I was you," I said as I continued smiling. "Why?" The leader said. I didn't say anything, I just pointed behind them. They both turned to look behind them, but when they did they both gasped. The mine was filled with a  lot of men, along with my cousin..., Chase. He was so silent when seeking up on people that it was unnerving. Thankfully all of the men were able to get the drop on the criminals.