Chapter 8.

Both Landon and Byron were walking off the large meal they both consumed at the cafe in town and were admiring the peaceful sounds of the surrounding area. It was by far, a lot quieter than the busy streets of Virginia. Landon saw the calm and satisfied look on his brother's face and wondered if he was thinking about his boss's sister. Surely he wasn't thinking of courting the young girl. To curious as to see what was making his brother smile Landon couldn't resist, he broached on the subject that's been sitting on the edge of his mind.

"What's got you into a happy mood?"

Landon said as he saw the grin on his brother's face grow even bigger.

" You aren't thinking about my boss's sister, are you? Cause if you are Byron I'm going to have to punch you again."

Byron stopped walking, stood in front of his brother and gave him an annoyed look. Heaving a sigh, Byron tapped his brother on the shoulder and tried to set his worries at ease.

"I admit that I was attracted briefly to your boss's sister Landon, but I guess I was just shocked to see a beautiful woman after stepping off the train from Virginia. When I went to the General Store to inquire after a job I thought that she was the only angel in town but you know what? I saw a goddess instead. And the best part about it is... she was my age!"

"Really? Well then that's a good thing. I suppose then, that Dr. Colt's sister is fair game. Perhaps I'll go and stake a claim on her!"

Without warning, Landon found himself sprawling on the dirt road, holding onto his now swollen jaw.

"What the hell was that for?"

Landon asked in a shocked manner. The look on Byron's face was frightening, did he say something... wrong? Landon thought.

"By God Landon don't you dare speak like Sullivan! You're smarter than him. You should know better than to think as he does! No woman should be thought or treated as property or a ticket to a meal. So if I hear you speak to her or if I hear how you talk to her in that manner I swear to you little brother I will beat you until you cannot perform as a doctor!"

"Okay... Okay. Sorry! I was just joking. There's no need to threaten me with the demise of my career." Landon said as he got himself off the ground. Byron folded his arms across his chest, " joking or not, I never want to hear you or see you act like our pitiful and degrading brother."

Wanting to break the tension, Landon thought of something else.

" Have you heard anything about the church social on Saturday? Now that you have met your goddess, are you going to ask her to make a lunch box so that you can make your bid at the lunch box auction? Or have you made your intentions known to her?"

"What are you nuts?

... Landon, I just met her, it's way too early to make my intentions known to her! Besides, I think she's not ready to court again. She just lost her husband two years ago and I am positive that she still misses him."

"But, the church social is this Saturday, Byron, surely your not going to wait to ask, you might miss your chance if you wait too long to ask, someone else will beat it to you and stake a claim on her!"

Landon had a point, Byron supposed. Still, it would be wrong to move to fast. Byron wouldn't want to scare her off, or to offend her father or her mother. And Byron's own father taught him better. Lawrence Paisley would be severely disappointed in him if he blundered up his new relationship with Lillian Carter.

Perhaps the first step he should do would start a relationship with her little boy first. With that thought in mind, Byron agreed with his own judgment and smiled. He parted ways with his brother and headed towards the saloon for a drink and afterwards, he would seek his bed and begin anew for his search of gainful employment.