Chapter 2.

Johnathan was just heading out the door when he was stopped by his stepfather. Ansel Dodd married his mother when Jon was four years old so he could be his real father, though his mother Marian repeated that he should never forget who is real father was. He had a sister, but she was already married and had moved to Saint Louis when she married the Banker's son, Jesse Stanton.

"Don't forget that after your done your work at the jailhouse that I need you to come by the shop, I require your help with Irvin Hawkins mare, I must readjust her saddle again and I'll need your strength to hold her steady as you know she is a skittish animal. Why that man uses her for that kind of work for her boggles my mind. That animal was not meant to plow fields!"

His father said in sort of a frustrated way. After swallowing his toast, Jon smiled at him and nodded, that he would be there. He needed to go their anyway after work because he had an idea for a present he wanted to make for Angela, and he would need his father's tool from the blacksmith's shop to start making it.

Jonathan was halfway towards work when he heard his name being called from behind him. Jon turned around and was surprised to see Cameron Steele running towards him. Cameron was never usually in town during this time of the day. He was usually working at the gold mine. A few years ago some wandering gold miners struck it rich about 30 kilometers away from the 'Dusty Trail' the coal mine that was abandoned years ago but became a well-working mine five years after the Turner Gang was put out of its misery. He was also surprised to see him without his little brothers tagging along with him, Chase Steele was Angela's second cousin, and Cameron was her first cousin. Jonathan then wondered where Drake and James were. So when Cameron finally caught up with him, Johnathan asked him. Cameron was just catching his breath when he heard the question that Johnathan asked.

"I believe, Chase is working at the Livery today with Genome McNaughton. He's been given a black stallion, to care for and try to break. Chase has this affinity with horses that completely bewilders me. Though father once said our grandfather had the same talent when he was a young man as well. Chase decided that he wasn't cut out for gold mining and river panning so when Genome mentioned to mother that he needed someone to help with the care of the horses, mother immediately volunteered Chase. As for Drake, he should also be helping his grandfather and uncle at the general store. I heard that Rosie and her daughter Lillian, demanded Timothy to add an additional section for women. She's went on ahead and has ordered a mass amount of material and other sewing items, that Tim and Drake are having a hard time keeping the store organized and clean. And the last I heard of James, was the telegram that father received two days ago, it said that he found Noelle, and explained that she recently married the Indian Chief of the Black Moon tribe. He said that he was trying to convince her to return to town, and hopefully promised that he would have her home before the next holiday arrived."

"So then, why are you in town? So early in the morning? Aren't you usually there by now?"

"Oh, my boss, Caleb Burlier and his brother Sole gave me the morning off. Apparently the main tunnels that were excavated last week became flooded, so now we have to wait for them to dry up before we begin mining again.

Jon nodded,

I can say though, that I do have a positive gut feeling though. I have a feeling that Noelle is safe and is quite enjoying herself living among the Sioux. Noelle has always been sort of different from the rest of us, including her twin. I suppose that with Chase's affinity with horses and her love for medicinal herbs, that she would fit perfectly with them. I am sure that once James convinces her, he'll bring her home. Are you going to be on duty during the church social Saturday night? Or is it only Aaron? Mother wanted me to run some errands and to order some material from the general store so that she would be able to begin making the outfits that her and my cousin are going to make for Saturdays social. Will you be in attendance? Are you going to participate this year with the auction?"

Cameron saw the slight blush of red on Johnathan's face when he mentioned his cousin's name. He knew that he had strong feelings for Angela, he just couldn't understand why it was taking him so long to tell her! His mother's reason for ordering the material for Angela's dress was because she wanted her niece to look beautiful, that his mother hoped that it would propel Johnathan forward and ask his uncle's permission to begin courting her. His mother also knew that Angela wanted to get out of Bannock, just like Quinn did, but she also knew that outside of Bannock was also very dangerous too, especially for a girl like Angela, who was so naïve.