Chapter 1.

March 16th, Bannock, Montana 1883

"Angela honey?" "Yes, mama, what do you need?" Angela asked her mother. "Could you go outside and tell your father and brothers that dinner is almost ready!"

She nodded, but then she paused. She looked at the table and wondered who else was coming for dinner. Instead of seeing the usual five plates that usually sat there, more was set beside each of them.

"Mama, who else is coming for dinner?"

Savannah looked up from the soup pot she was stirring and gazed at her daughter.

"Oh, your aunts and uncles and cousins, are coming over. Were celebrating. Quinn is coming home, she'll be here in an hour. I got a telegram this morning. It said that she got her license to practice medicine! She's going to be Dr. Brown's new replacement. Isn't that wonderful?"

Savannah said with enthusiasm. Angela smiled, she WAS happy for her sister. Really she was, but she was just a little bit jealous. Quinn was able to go out and see the world before she decided that she wanted to be a doctor. Well if seeing the world was getting out of this little town, then Quinn accomplished that very quickly. Angela wondered if she would ever get the opportunity to leave too, she loved her family, and she did have someone here whom she had the biggest crush on, but she didn't think he has ever noticed her. Johnathan Dodd grew up with her, she would tag along with him and her brothers whenever they went somewhere. She wondered if he shared the same feelings that she had for him. Angela sighed, what was the point of hoping, it would take a miracle for Jon to notice her. She might as well face it. She would always just be Drake's little sister to him.

Later that evening.

"Congratulations on getting your license, sweetie." Aunt Angel and Lillian both said as they were cleaning up the dessert dishes, that were scattered throughout the den. Quinn looked up from her journal she was writing all her thoughts in.

"Thank you. To tell you the truth, it was really difficult to pass. The teachers there didn't think I could do it. Especially Professor Howard. He thought that only men should be allowed to practice medicine and that women belonged at home in the kitchen, surrounded by children. But I didn't allow that insult to distract me from my studies like papa always says: "Once you achieve one goal, you should be looking forward to trying to build onto the next thing.''

The back door opened and her father came towards her mother and kissed her on the cheek, he only caught the last part of his quote.

"What was it I always say?"Quinn looked at her father and smiled. After all these years, sixteen years to be exact, Quinn was still amazed at how much her father loved their mother.

"Oh, I was just telling Aunt Lillian and Aunt Angel about the quote you've been repeating to us all these years." Ramsay thought on the quote again and silently nodded, "and what has that quote taught you, my girl?"

At that moment, Angela walked into the room and spoke up before Quinn could reply.

"Doesn't it mean that, after we achieve one goal, we should keep moving towards the next one and never settle for anything less then what we want to achieve?"

"It does indeed, honey," Ramsay said as he came towards her and embraced her. "So the church social is next Saturday, will my two special girls save your father a dance?" He asked them. Both girls smiled and nodded. "Of course papa."