Chapter 7.

Rosie took a step back from her daughter and raised her hand to her breast, 

    "Goodness child, there is no need to be hostile towards me, I am just looking out for you, where's the harm in that. Your father and I just want to see you settled and happy. We know that since Donovan passed away, you have had to be both mother and father to Tommy and we wanted to see you wed again so that you could be relieved of some of the pressure and stress. But if you really meant what you say about not wanting to marry again, then I will take a step back and let God lead you to your next mate, just take my advice, child, don't close your heart completely. Let it have the chance to capture the heart of someone who will not only care for you but for Tommy too." 

Lillian wiped away some tears that were trailing down her face, then she stepped towards her mother and enfolded her in a hug, 

         "I am sorry that I snapped at you, mama. I know that you are looking out for me and Tommy, but I don't think I am quite ready yet. I feel that if I do fall in love with someone else again, I would be betraying Donovan in some way." 

Rosie enfolded her daughter in a warm and loving hug, 

       "Oh my girl, you know that Donovan wouldn't want you to feel that way... he would want you and Tommy to be happy. I still need to inquire of your father, if there's anyone you think that may need some help, or who is looking for workers, for this young man. Could you..."

 Lillian nodded, 

           "Don't worry mama, I'll help him with anything he might need."

Rosie smiled at her then turned about and entered the back room. Lillian wiped her hand on her apron, and catching her reflection in a shiny metal pot, she looked at herself and patted down any wayward strands of hair. She then made her way to the front of the store.

Byron was just examining some home items when he caught a flash of loveliness coming his way. If he thought that the young girl he glimpsed earlier was an angel, this young woman far surpassed her. She was very tall for a woman, she was almost as tall as him. She had waist length white blond hair and piercing golden eyes, she was a goddess... and she looked to be just his age too. What a relief, he wouldn't have to feel guilty about perusing a younger woman, he found the right woman for him.

    "How I may be of service... Mr?"

Byron closed his mouth, he was sure he was staring at her earlier, that must of made her feel uncomfortable, so he cleared his throat and answered her.

     "My name is Byron Paisley."

"That name sounds familiar, where have I heard it? Oh, that's right, I heard it from my sister. Savannah Colt mentioned that a young man by the name of Paisley came to our little town. But she said that he was a doctor, are you a doctor too?"

Byron grinned and slowly shook his head, "No. That would be my younger brother, Landon. He is the doctor of the family, I just came along for the ride, and perhaps find a future for myself."

Just then the name of 'Colt' came quickly to his mind, "Wait! did you just say the name Colt? Do you know the new doctor by any chance?"

Lillian regarded his question with a smile, "Indeed I do. Doctor Colt is my niece. Her mother Savannah, is my sister. There are many people whom you'll likely meet, that you will notice are related...."

Just then from the backroom, Byron heard little feet, running towards them. 

      "Mama, mama. Uncle Tate, says that he wants your opinion on something about... oh yeah, he said about something that came in with the last delivery!" 

Seven-Year-old Tommy said as he tugged on her skirt. When Tommy glanced over to where Byron was standing, he looked up at his mother and noticed the look upon her face.

       "I'm sorry, mama, I didn't mean to interrupt." 

He then turned to Byron and said he was sorry as well. Byron was stunned to see such good manners for a little boy his age, most boys that age he noticed were rowdy and spoiled, and not at all like this little fellow. Byron bent down to the little boy and ruffled his hair and smiled at him, 

    "Could you tell your uncle, that I still need to speak to your mother for a few minutes? If your uncle needs some help, why don't you ask your father." He could see out of the corner of his eye, that Lillian winced a little bit, and he wondered if he said something he wasn't supposed to say. He no sooner got his answer, when the little tike, blurted out in a loud but strong voice, what he wondered what made Lillian wince.

    "I don't have a father, mister. He died two years ago." "What did he die from, may I ask?"

Tommy looked up at his mother and saw the silent tears running down her face. He knew that she still missed his father, but he also knew that his grandma was right, his father would want her to be happy and to stop mourning him. Tommy then looked back at the stranger and studied him for a few more minutes. Perhaps, this man could make his mama smile again. He knew that the man was waiting for an answer, so he blurted out what he heard his grandfather say once. "My papa was in the army. He died in the Apache wars. He wasn't a mean man, he was trying to help a few children escape when a tomahawk hit him in the back. Grandpa said that he died from In... infection." When he heard his mother gasp, Tommy looked at his mother and saw the shocked look on her face, worried that he must have said something wrong, Tommy tugged on her skirts and asked her what was wrong.

Lillian bent down and enfolded her son in a big hug, then she kissed his cheek and hugged him again. 

"Tommy! How did you hear so much about your papa?" 

Tommy disentangled himself from his mother and took a step back, then he stared at the floor and shrugged. 

"I overheard grandpa talk to grandma when the telegram arrived."

    "But you would have been only five when that happened, how do you remember?" 

Tommy grinned at his mama but shrugged his shoulder and shook his head. he mouthed to the stranger in a whisper, 'I can't tell her. Grandpa, made me pinkeye swear.' Byron laughed and ruffled the boy's hair again. Just then another male voice came from the back room... "Tommy, did you tell your mother, that I needed her help?" Lillian blushed and curtsied to him, "I do beg your pardon Mr. Paisley, but it seems like my brother is getting mighty impatient if you'll excuse me."

Byron nodded and brought back his attention to the child that still stood in front of him. "Hey, mister, do you want to play a game of checkers with me? I'm bored and there's no one to play with!"

Byron accepted the request and followed the child out the door.