Chapter 6.

Once outside of the office, Landon twisted himself away from Byron's tight grip and once freed he shoved at him. He was so furious with him. "What was that all about?" He screamed at Byron. Again his brother gave him that annoying grin, so when Byron wasn't expecting it, Landon threw him a punch so hard that he was pleased to see Byron spit blood from his mouth on to the ground. After wiping the blood away, Byron looked at his younger brother. "Feel better now LAN? Is your anger all gone now?"

Landon eyed Byron again and released the tension in his neck, "not even close... but I will let go for now. By the way, what made you barge your way into the office anyway? And don't give me that load of shit excuse that you were concerned after hearing raised voices within! You were attracted to the other young woman, weren't you? For god sake's Byron, she's too young for you! She's got to be at least sixteen, and your what twenty-six, that's a twelve years distance, a relationship between you and her would be impossible."

Byron brushed his fingers through his hair, he knew that LAN was right. He knew it god dammit, but the minute that Byron laid eyes on her, he was spellbound. What were chances that he would meet his prospective bride here of all places? The moment that thought entered his mind, a warm feeling entered his chest, and a small grin made its way to his lips. Surely he could get to know her a little more... no doubt he would find some obstruction in his way to pursue her. But Byron was sure, that he could get passed all of that. Hearing his brothers voice coming through his deep thinking, made Byron remember what they were arguing about again. He tapped Landon on the shoulder and started to walk away

       "It's like the way you stated on the train... LAN. If I stay out of your life, you'll stay out of mine. Now if you don't mind, I'm on my way to find me some work."

He said as he walked away. Landon watched Byron walking away from him, and he shook his head in dismay, nothing good would come of this. He was sure it wouldn't.

Byron was browsing the job listings on the employment board that was at the back of the general store when out the corner of his eye, he saw a plump middle aged woman attempting to lift a dress model onto a platform. He could see that the thing was very unstable, and as he saw her walk away from it, he watched as it started to tip backwards towards her. Without even thinking, Byron raced over to her, gently pushed her aside and righted the model, before it had a chance to land on the woman. 

Rosie Pearson looked at the now steady model, then she turned her gaze to the man who righted it before her very eyes. She held her hand to her chest and let out a relieved sigh, "Oh, thank you so much for the kind assistance, my good sir. Why I didn't even know it was unstable as I finished putting it on the platform. Oh due beg my pardon, here I am prattling on, when I haven't even introduced myself yet." She curtsied and dipped her head to him, "My name is Rosie Pearson, and my husband and my two children run this store. Were you looking for her work perchance? Mr?"

Byron was stunned that this woman guessed exactly what he wanted and what he was doing before he came to her rescue. He nodded his head towards her, "Yes mam, I am. My name is Byron Paisley."

"Are you new in town? Just got off the train?" After seeing the man nod yes to all her questions, Rosie gave him a generous smile. My oh my, was he a good looking fellow. He would make a good husband to her daughter Lillian. "Just give me one moment to ask if my husband if he might be needing any help, or if he knows anyone who needs some help." She said as she walked away from him and entered the back room, where she saw Timothy last. She just turned the corner when she accidentally bumped into her daughter Lillian. "Oh, my dear, could you go out to the counter and see to the gentleman out front, while I go out back and fetch your father?"

"Sure mama, but besides fetching papa, what has made you so happy?" Lillian asked her mother with a look of confusion. Then when she saw that same glimmer in her mother's eyes, and folded her arms across her chest and shook her head. "Mama, no. We have been over this already, I don't have any plans to remarry. I just want to work here with you and papa and take care of my little Tommy, OK! So you can cease trying to find me another husband."