Dream 5

Aziraphale didn't mean to fall asleep the next time he woke in dream-land. He took in the familiar black bed sheets and tartan blanket with a bit of surprise. After the last incident of having Crowley for only a few moments, the angel had decided not to torture himself any longer and stopped sleeping for a few months. He would have a nasty crick in the neck when he woke up, he was sure.

Stretching, Aziraphale got up, not sure if Crowley was in the house or not. It was silent, so that didn't seem like a good sign. As he walked through the house, he saw that nothing inside had really changed. He entered his library, wondering if he could find the book he had been reading when he fell asleep and continue where he left off.

He passed the reading nook Crowley had built for him and paused.

Out in the garden was a dark figure... Crowley!

Aziraphale's dream-corporation filled with delight at the sight of his old friend. He rushed to the window sill and fiddled with the lock to swing the windows open. The garden was recovering, it seemed, from Aziraphale's latest stay. A few patches remained completely dead but there was some new life in the ashes -- so to speak.

The angel finally succeeded and flung the windows open, about to holler his greeting when he realized the demon was talking to himself.

"... damn angel ruining a perfectly good garden. Who does he think he is?! Did he not like it?" The dream-Crowley sighed dejectedly, "Now I gotta do all the gardening to get you all back to pristine condition. Nothing but the best from you lot, you hear?!"

Aziraphale couldn't help but giggle. He loved when Crowley talked to his plants. Yes, oftentimes he could be quite brutal but the angel found it funny more than anything else.

Crowley's head snapped up at the sound, mouth opening in shock, "Angel?!"

"My dear!" Aziraphale waved eagerly from the window, pondering whether it would be quicker to crawl through the window or race to the door to get to the demon.

He deemed crawling out the window would be quicker, that way he could keep his sights on Crowley. Hopefully the demon wouldn't be disappearing again.

"Stay there! I'll come to you!" Aziraphale called out, wriggling through the window frame. He must have misjudged the height from the sill to the ground because he suddenly found himself freefalling after a misjudged step.

"Aziraphale!" Crowley's voice sounded much louder now as warm arms caught the angel before he could hit the ground.

Aziraphale giggled and wrapped his arms around the demon in return, holding him close. Crowley was always here to save the day real or dream land. "I missed you." he whispered, nuzzling into the demon's neck.

Crowley was wearing his usual reality outfit, fully equipped with sunglasses but it didn't matter. Crowley was here. That's what mattered. And Aziraphale wasn't letting him leave again.

"Oh angel." Crowley set him up on his feet, lips quirking up as Aziraphale refused to let go of him. "You did a real number to the garden."

"Yes." Aziraphale admitted, just delighted that the demon was back.

Crowley hesitated, and pulled away slightly from the angel, "Was there something wrong with it? Something you wanted to change? Fix?"

Aziraphale shook his head, "I just wanted you."

"Oh."

The angel grinned and leaned up to run his fingers through Crowley's now shorter hair. He rather liked when it was long but this was good too. "You're not going to disappear on me again are you?"

Crowley gulped but smiled gently down at the angel, "I'll try my best not to."

Aziraphale huffed, "I know it's not your fault. My stupid brain was doing something the past few months and the last time you were here. I just need to figure out what it's trying to tell me. That way you can be here all the time!"

The demon winced but didn't say anything more on it. He let the angel take him by the arm and lead him inside for a good cup of tea.

Aziraphale woke up.

Aziraphale had never awoken like this before -- well fallen asleep would have been a more appropriate term for it. He wasn't complaining though.

There was a tangle of limbs intertwined with him and long locks of red hair strewn over his eyes but he knew exactly where he was. The dark sheets and tartan throw were unmistakable.

Crowley groaned and his body moved in a sinuously snaky motion against the angel's causing the principality to chuckle.

"Good morning my dear," Aziraphale greeted, bringing up a hand to Crowley's hair. He hadn't worn it this long since Aziraphale had ruined the garden. It was nice. Better than nice.

Crowley froze where he was, going from languid and slithery to stiff in a split second. "Angel?" the demon's voice was gruff as if just awoken.

Aziraphale smiled and wrapped an arm around the demon, hoping to get him back into that relaxed state that was just exquisite, "This is wonderful, don't you think?"

It worked slightly, Crowley melting into the angel's touch wonderfully (just as Aziraphale had expected him to). The angel smiled, they never touched like this in real life. That was part of the appeal of dream-land, being able to fulfill nearly all his fantasies and desires with his closest friend. It was much too dangerous to do this in real life, if real-Crowley even wanted to. But here, everything was safe. No eyes watching his every move, no expectations.

There was the faintest scent of a miracle being performed and the demon's hair shimmered and faded away into a much shorter cut. Aziraphale was disappointed but didn't say anything as Crowley burrowed further into his chest. Fine, if his mind wanted to tease him with that hair, that was fine. Having the demon just being here was enough. Aziraphale still remembered the lonely months (or years) when Crowley wasn't here.

"I- I- I didn't expect this," the demon said nervously into the angel's shirt, "We must've- we must've..." he didn't finish his thought just lying there contentedly.

Aziraphale smiled down at him, running his hand through the short hair. He could get used to this. Crowley nearly purred and leaned into it, blinking up at the angel with wide golden eyes, filled with a sort of awe and love that Aziraphale adored.

"I love you my dear." Aziraphale said quietly.

Immediately the demon's face flushed red and eyes widened impossibly so, "Fuck," he choked out. Limbs stiffening around the angel.

Aziraphale laughed and pulled him closer, "You're absolutely perfect."

"Ngk," Crowley's body shuddered and went limp against the angel.

Aziraphale could have been mistaken but there was the faint sound of a sob and the snap of fingers.

He woke up.