Lovely Part 4

2019

It was subtle at first. The shy glances, beaming smiles, and the way the angel just kind of stared at him for no reason whatsoever. There was a shift in the air and it took the demon nearly all day to crack what had changed.

"To the world."

Crowley nearly choked as everything clicked into place. He couldn't breathe. Aziraphale was looking at him like he looked at his loves. No. He checked again, it must be a trick of the light, the angel would never. Crowley squeezed his eyes shut and opened them to look again.

It was still there. The demon smiled shyly back and sipped at his drink, purely on autopilot. His brain had stopped working.

Aziraphale was looking at him! Warmth flooded Crowley's chest and he felt happy tears prick the inner corners of his eyes. All he had ever wanted was that attention and now he got it! So many emotions flew through his head, terror, happiness, love... so much love.

The demon dared to get his hopes up and allowed himself to dream for just a second that the angel would stay with him for all eternity. That they would live happily ever after, that Crowley would never be alone again.

Aziraphale had started talking again, he was leaning against the table, further than he usually did, talking of something ecstatically. Crowley wasn't listening, he was relaxed in the chair in a practiced pose as his mind raced.

So much had happened over the course of the last week. His original plan was that once the angel was safe and he was sure the world would still be there in another decade or two, the demon was going to go to sleep and try to forget the pain of the past few days. That wasn't happening anymore. To think that Crowley could sleep, after the angel looked at him like that, was preposterous!

The demon couldn't conjure any proper words the entire evening, so he stayed silent as the angel glowed. Aziraphale didn't seem to find anything amiss, as he happily babbled on whatever he liked best.

"Come back to my place, darling?"

Crowley definitely choked this time. That was a new nickname. Without answering, the demon stood up abruptly, nodding once as he marched off to the car. With a frown that morphed into a sweet smile, the angel followed.

The ride over was uneventful, the Bentley decided to blast music far too loud for the two beings to hold any proper conversation. It was probably for the best since the demon's thoughts had been going in a loop since he had started driving. The angel, on the other hand, was sitting relaxed in the car for once. He was looking out the window with a content look on his face.

The Bentley rolled up to the shop in record time and practically threw the angel and demon to the curb. Aziraphale stumbled to the door as Crowley desperately tried to keep himself together.

"What do you want to do, angel?" The words flowed off his tongue like honey and he hated how suggestive it sounded, he was too good at his job for his own liking.

He held the door open for the blushing angel to enter his own bookshop. "Oh come off it dear, let's have some drinks." Crowley swallowed down an embarrassing response. How had this happened?

Aziraphale zipped into the back room and for lack of anything else to do, Crowley flopped in his normal chair out of habit. He was holding himself together with a thread. Drinks. He could do drinks. Easy.

The angel reappeared with two glasses and a variety of bottles, "What speed do you want to go tonight, my dear?"

Crowley blinked, Aziraphale had never asked that before. What did that mean? Was there some kind of code in the bottles? What was the angel playing at?