A Child 3

The following day was exhausting for Aziraphale. He spent half the day diving after the child, making sure she didn't touch the demon's plants and picking up after it's mess in the bookshop. There were no sweet moments with grapes or cuddles in the rocking chair. Apopis was a pain and cried often as Aziraphale tried to keep himself together.

He got a few hours to himself in the evening where he read and waited for Crowley's arrival until the demon child started to scream nonstop. No matter how much he read to her she would just wail into his chest, or the floor, or on whatever surface she was on at the moment.

"Dear, dear. Please stop, it's quite enough. You're fine, Crowley will be back soon." Aziraphale tried desperately to talk to her, calm her down, "You'll like that won't you? Crowley will be back, I promise."

Apopis just balled her fists and began to hit the angel, she wasn't strong but Aziraphale didn't want to encourage violent behavior.

"Apopis stop."

She screamed a whole new pitch, her pupils went narrow, to slits. Aziraphale started to connect that occurance to when she was upset. Apopis attempted to hit him once more but Aziraphale easily caught the fists.

"You can't hit people. It's wrong." Aziraphale scolded.

Red faced and breathing fast, Poppy hissed at the angel, her blue irises grew in size and pupils narrowed impossibly more. Aziraphale found himself staring into those demonic eyes, transfixed. They were beautiful he would admit. She would grow to be a great tempter one day most likely.

Aziraphale cursed himself for helping Crowley in this situation, not for the first time. How dare he, an angel, raise a demon child! If upstairs ever got wind of this, it wouldn't be rudely worded letters at his front door. Aziraphale's breath turned shaky as he stared at Apopis' scared or angry eyes. He couldn't tell which one.

"Apopis, my dear, please..." He didn't know what he was pleading for but he let go of her fists and they dropped limply to her side. She sniffled, eyes a dead give away of telling that she was still upset. "I'm sorry, whatever it is I'm sorry."

Apopis hissed angrily and crawled off the angel's lap. They were sitting on the sofa and she moved as far from the angel as she could. Aziraphale sighed feeling his frustration grow. It would be so much easier if she could just talk and tell him what was wrong.

He got to his feet, Crowley would be back soon and Poppy needed sleep. He approached her but she just hissed angrily at him, blue serpent eyes nearly glowing.

"Fine, fine." Aziraphale said moving away grabbing a stray pillow, "At least take this."

Apopis glared and grabbed what was offered, holding it protectively. Aziraphale found a stray blanket lying around and settled it around the hellspawn. The hiss that followed was much quieter as the fatigue from her tantrum seemed to catch up to her.

With a sigh, Aziraphale settled back into his side of the sofa with the book he had been reading. Poppy drifted off to sleep and the angel heard her soft snores in the back of his mind as he tried to lose himself in the book. They stayed like that for another hour until Aziraphale heard the tell tale click of someone entering the flat. He was on his feet immediately.

"Crowley dear?" He called, rounding the corner and stopping in his tracks. His demon friend did not look good. The tartan blanket was wrapped around his shoulders and he was unnaturally pale. "Are you okay?"

The demon nodded, taking a few shaky steps forward, "Yeah, traveling in a tin can in the sky is not exactly pleasant. Very cold."

Crowley made his way past the angel into the sitting room, Aziraphale followed fidgeting slightly, "I hope the blanket helped." He smiled weakly.