Touch

Humans touched a lot, Aziraphale noticed sitting alone on a bench. He wiped the stray crumbs off his pants onto the ground for the little crowd of ducks he had acquired. A human couple walked by stumbling lovingly into each other, giggling, hands grasped loosely. The angel averted his eyes as they walked past, looking back to just glimpse at the two pull each other in for a quick kiss. A blush found it's way onto his pale cheeks as he folded his hands neatly into his lap. He took a deep breath and let the hurt that had built up in his chest drift away as he took in the scenery of god's earth.

Many of the books in the bookshop were love stories. Apparently, even the most talented of humans couldn't help but write a little romance. Sometimes he would be reading them alone in the shop during the dead of night when the world seemed to sleep and the familiar hurt filled his chest. Occasionally it would spill out of his eyes and down his cheeks but that is besides the point. Aziraphale wasn't always like this. Heaven used to be a cozy place where angel's loved and touched each other constantly. After the Eden incident, heaven stopped being so comforting... at least to him.

Every time he would go upstairs, the angels he encountered were rigid and business like. There were no comforting gaze or hands casually brushing each other or any touching in general. The archangel's simply ordered him around, standing out of reach with no comforting warmth radiating from their power.

It was a harsh transition for the poor angel. After being raised in constant touch and love the sudden lack was abrupt and uncomfortable. Not to mention that the stigma of ruining God's newest creation by interacting with humans was still fresh in his mind. He tried to be a good soldier and keep his needs to himself. However, it wasn't long until he came to heaven pleading for someone to make the ache go away... to just touch him. As if it was ingrained into the back of his eyelids, he could still see the archangel's staring at him, mannerisms much more sophisticated compared to the principalities sloppy pleas.

Gabriel approached and Aziraphale nearly cried out in relief as he got closer than anyone had in an incredibly long time. He felt a rough, hot hand on his chin, forcing his gaze up into the depths of his purple eyes. An uneasy feeling settled deep down into the angel's stomach as warmth filled him from that touch alone. He sighed in relief.

"You really believe," Gabriel started, his voice low and dark, "that you deserve to be touched you pathetic excuse of an angel." He dropped his hand and the warmth was abruptly torn away leaving him feeling so cold and empty that he couldn't hold himself up anymore. Aziraphale collapsed to his knees shivering as fear and dread filled his corporation.

"You abandoned your post, lost your sword, -which was a divine object may I remind you-" Michael hissed out, "Not to mention, extend a wing to a demon, the great tempter of all beings! Aziraphale..." The archangel chided, "be thankful to god almighty you have not fallen."

The angel choked on an apology, a plea, anything to just make the cold go away. The pressure in his chest was stronger as it had ever been and longed for release. He couldn't vocalize anything except for a soft sob.

A snide laugh was heard as Sandalphon made his appearance known, "Until we deem you worthy, you won't be getting the comfort you so... desperately need." his golden eyes raked over the quivering angel, blue eyes wide and staring back pleading. Sandalphon just laughed "Good luck getting what you need from those humans." A chorus of laughs was heard as Aziraphale felt himself get transported back down to Earth.

He didn't know how long he stayed lying on the cold wet ground. It had begun to rain and his usually soft bright curls dampened and was darkened with mud. His tears blended with rainwater as glassy blue eyes stared up at the darkening sky, praying for a ray of warmth that never came. The rainfall wasn't unlike the one that occurred in Eden that fateful day. Except, he was alone.