A Child 1

Aziraphale was in his shop, nothing unusual from his normal routine. His favorite record was spinning, filling the shop with the sounds of an orchestra that no one remembered. He hummed along, swaying through the shop as he reorganized books in a nonsensical manner. It was a wonderful day in the shop, he had successfully scared off all the customers without having to part with any of his precious tombs. He puttered around happily, letting the music drown out the sound of a Bentley screeching to a stop in front of the bookshop.

A red headed demon burst through the door with a bundle clutched in his arms; he was out of breath and pale as the moon that hung low in the sky. Immediately the angel knew something was wrong. Crowley's signature sunglasses were nowhere to be found, his usual impeccable clothes were askew and wrinkled as if put on hastily.

"Crowley." Aziraphale gasped, body stiff and gaze wary as to what could possibly cause the demon to be such a mess. "What's going on?"

The demon panted, taking a second to catch his breath before blurting, "I need help. I- I don't know what to do."

Aziraphale took a tentative step closer, taking notice of the lump Crowley was clutching onto for dear life. "What is it?"

Crowley seemed unsure of himself as he gently moved some of the fabric around and revealed an infant's face. It released a small cry as it was exposed to cold air.

"A child?!" Aziraphale nearly shrieked. "Crowley-! Where did it come from?! Dear lord."

Crowley's golden eyes revealed his panic and frustration, "I don't know, it just showed up..."

"That's not how... Is it? Could it be - oh heavens - the antichrist?"

The demon shook his head vigorously, "No, I already checked in with my superiors. Antichrist isn't scheduled for another few years or something. Please Aziraphale, I'm not built- I need help."

"How does a child just show up Crowley?!"

"I don't know!" Crowley sighed exasperated, "It just showed up in a basket at my door making such a ruckus I couldn't sleep."

"Some poor woman left it on your doorstep?" Aziraphale began to fidget nervously, pacing slightly as he tried to figure out how they were going to get this child back to its mother.

"It was my bedroom door! The little beast appeared inside my freaking flat!"

"What?" Aziraphale blinked dumbfounded.

"Please, can we talk about this later. I..." the poor demon was so overwhelmed that tears started to spill down his cheeks. "Aziraphale..." he pleaded.

"Okay okay, we can go to the back. I can probably miracle up a crib or something." Aziraphale beckoned, "We can figure this out."

Crowley followed the angel to the back, the child clutched close to his chest for warmth. He desperately wiped the tears from his eyes, putting on a brave face. He gently set down the child on the counter and began to unwrap the squirming limbs. Meanwhile, Aziraphale went off to prepare a sleeping area for the child. Crowley bit his lip as he slowly unwrapped the whole child and held his breath as pitch black wings flapped angrily behind the kids back. Aziraphale turned slightly at the sound of the ruckus and got a glimpse of the wings and gasped, dropping whatever he was holding.

"Is that-?" Aziraphale whispered face paling until he was white as a sheet.

"Aziraphale..." Crowley pleaded.

Aziraphale shook his head taking a step away from the child, looking from between it and Crowley trying to connect the dots. He started to hyperventilate at the situation.