Dream 9

"Do-" Crowley cleared his throat before continuing, "Erm, do you think you'll try sleeping again?" he asked, looking up at the angel from the bookshop couch, his glasses were off.

Aziraphale frowned, looking up from his book, confused as to why this question was being brought up.

"I just mean," Crowley rushed, "I just mean that you did sleep, before our trials. Did you- perhaps... have an affinity for it?"

The angel chuckled lightly, "Just because I sleep once, doesn't mean I'm suddenly on board with the whole trend. I know you love to, dear, but I'm afraid I won't be doing that activity anytime soon."

Crowley gulped audibly from where he sat, some sort of turmoil hidden behind those golden eyes, "Any particular reason why?"

Aziraphale hummed thoughtfully at that. Did he really want to get into his peculiar dreams about an alternate Crowley with the real demon? Real-Crowley would probably just think he was crazy. It would surely bring up more questions than Aziraphale felt comfortable answering at the moment. He'd rather just get back to his book.

"No reason." Aziraphale murmured, turning a page in the novel, thinking that was the end of that conversation.

The room was silent for about a minute before Crowley fidgeted nervously and cleared his throat once again.

"Um, so it's just us now, right? Our side." he spoke out.

What a peculiar thing to say, Aziraphale thought to himself. He closed the book. Obviously Crowley wanted to talk about something, best to start listening. "Yes, I do believe that is what we are."

"Right, well... that means no secrets?" the demon looked pale, his hands were fidgeting with his phone anxiously.

Aziraphale tilted his head, "I thought that's always how it's been between us? I surely haven't kept anything from you... at least not since the world ended."

"Er, right." Crowley swallowed, squeezing his hands into fists, his knuckles white.

"Is something wrong my dear?" the angel asked, growing concerned as to the state Crowley was working himself into.

The demon sucked in a deep breath and held it for a moment, glancing up at the angel and in one breath he blurted, "Ihavesomethingtoconfess!"

"You what?"

"I have something to confess." Crowley repeated slightly slower, looking down at his lap as a blush rose to his cheeks. "I've been keeping a secret for quite some time and I feel... erg I can't believe I'm going to say this but I feel guilty angel."

The angel blinked, not expecting this to be the turnout of the day. Crowley never kept secrets from him. Not in their six thousand years of knowing each other.

"And- and- and I want to say something -- wanted to say something -- but... it's just- it's been a long time since it happened. I- I- I don't know what to do about it, how you'll react, if it will change anything." Crowley met the angel's eyes with teary ones of his own.

Aziraphale opened and closed in his mouth in an effort to find words but none came to mind. He didn't like seeing Crowley like this. For someone's sake was the demon crying? He didn't know what to do, what to say or how to help his poor demon.

What had Crowley been keeping from him that could affect their lives now?"I've made a mess of it already." Crowley grumbled, placing his head in his hands.