Nightmare 2: A Worried Angel

Aziraphale was worried about Crowley. He hadn't answered any of his calls, none of his letters, and was currently not answering his doorbell.

It had been a few months since the apocalypse, and the two spent nearly all their time together. After almost losing each other on the air field, it seemed almost natural.

Aziraphale wouldn't have been so worried, there were a few days sprinkled about where he didn't hear from Crowley. However on those nights, almost always, without fail the angel would get a call from the demon. He would hear ragged breathing through the phone but Crowley never really explained himself. He just always said: "it's nothing." And then hung up.

So there the angel was, late in the night after not hearing from his favorite demon all day, knocking on his door. There was no answer.

Aziraphale frowned and knocked again. "Crowley, let me in."

No answer.

The angel huffed before miracling the door open, warily making his way inside. He had only been to the demon's flat a few times. Most of those times in the last few months. Traditionally, it had always been the angels place that had been the host for their many meetups over the centuries. Things were switching up recently... not that Aziaphale minded.

He couldn't help but smile as he made his way past the luscious plants into the scarcely decorated living area. It was all so... Crowley. At first, he disliked the way the demon decorated but now it was starting to grow on him.

Before he could get much deeper in thought, he heard a rustle and a groan from the bedroom.

The angel started to investigate but froze. This wasn't right. What if he got this incredibly wrong and Crowley was fine without him and he was disturbing a perfectly good night with-

"Angel?" Crowley called out in the most heart wrenching cry Aziraphale had ever heard.

The angel raced to the bedroom seeing Crowley in a tangle of sheets, writhing on the silk. Aziraphale hated seeing his demon cry. Tears were flowing and his countenance was skewed in pain, eyes screwed shut.

"No..." Crowley sobbed, gasping for air.

Aziraphale made his way to his side, stroking the demons hair, "my dear..." he cooed lovingly, trying to calm his friend.

"No."

The angel frowned, confused as to what was going on in his head, "Crowley...?"

"No!" The demon thrashed, hurt and anger washing over him as more tears fell. He grasped at the angel. "You're going to be okay." Crowley said in between tears, jaw clenched.

Aziraphale was genuinely confused as to what conversation the demon was dreaming about but he wasn't enjoying it. More tears streamed down the demons face as he tried to get a better hold on the angel. His grip was too tight, uncomfortable. Aziraphale started to try and pry the demons fingers from his coat.

"Wake up Crowley. It's just a bad dream, come on." Aziraphale urged, trying to get a hold of the demon but he was thrashing too much.

"Aziraphale..." the angel froze as Crowley pulled him down on the bed with him. "Please don't." His grip softened and he sounded so heart broken.

Aziraphale slowly disentangled himself, trying his best to send the most comforting thoughts to the demon. However, Crowley clutched at his sheets instead, mumbling nonsense.

"Crowley wake up... Oh-!"

"Aziraphale look at me!" The demon screamed sitting upright.

Aziraphale jumped back startled. Crowley's eyes were still closed, he was still dreaming.

"Angel, I-" he choked on a scream.

"You're fine, I promise. It's just a bad dream. Come on Crowley wake up." Aziraphale hated seeing his friend like this. He was almost on the verge of tears himself as to what the demon could possibly be dreaming about to cause this sort of reaction. It had to do with him, that was for sure.

Sweat broke over the demons shivering body. He gasped awake, springing into Aziraphale's arms.

Moments passed, the demons breath was still ragged. Aziraphale traced nonsense patterns into Crowley's back, trying to calm him down.

"Is it really you?" Crowley whimpered.

Aziraphale hesitated, "Yes, it's me."

Crowley pulled back looking at the angels face, tears were still steadily flowing from the demons serpentine eyes. Aziraphale tried to ignore the tears that were falling from his own eyes as he tried to ask the question he was thinking with just his eyes 'What's wrong?'. Crowley sobbed in response.

The angel quickly moved to the side, guiding his friend to sit down on the bed next to him, wrapping an arm over his shoulder squeezing.

Crowley shook his head, burying his face into Aziraphales neck, surrounding himself with the smell of his angel.

Aziraphale didn't mind, just kept holding him.

After what seemed like forever, Crowley's tears stopped and his breathing became normal. Aziraphale began to worry that he had fallen asleep again.

But Crowley pulled away a moment later, putting distance between them.

"What are you doing here?" The demon almost growled, his body language changing abruptly to something guarded and angry.

Aziraphale looked at Crowley confused, "Checking up on you, obviously."

"I didn't ask-"

"I know, I just-"

"You shouldn't have come."

Aziraphale frowned, he knew Crowley was wrong, he definitely should have come. He probably should have come sooner than he did but he bit his tongue.

They sat in silence for a while, each in their own heads with Crowley refusing to look at Aziraphale.

The angel sighed before saying, "You should talk about it."

"No."

"It may help."

"I said no, angel."

There was something about Crowley's tone. It sounded so broken that Aziraphale didn't want anything else in the world but do what he asked. There was just something he couldn't quite get out of his head.

"It has something to do with me."

"No it doesn't." Crowley lied.

"I think we both know that's not true... You talk in your sleep, did you know that? You called for me and 'Angel' many times. You told me 'don't' what's that supposed to mean? ...Was I hurting you? Oh god I was wasn't I?! Oh my dear-"

"No! No." Crowley quickly interrupted. "It wasn't that. You didn't do anything, I swear. Don't even think that."

"Well, what the hell was it supposed to mean then? You needed me to stop doing something, what was it that's got you screaming? You're clearly in pain."

Crowley looked everywhere but at Aziraphale.

"Come on, Crowley." Aziraphale whined, "I thought you said you'd never lie to me."

Crowley breathed in sharply and looked to be on the verge of tears again.

Aziraphale softened his voice, realizing he had pushed him to far, "Oh dear. I'm sorry, don't cry."

Aziraphale reached out to try and comfort the demon. But Crowley just shrugged him off, getting up and miracling a fresh set of clothes on.

"It's morning, you want coffee?" Crowley walked out of the room without looking back for an answer.

Aziraphale sat frozen, not knowing what he said that made Crowley upset.

"I'd prefer tea." He murmered to an empty room.