A Child 6

"Row?" A voice chirped directly into the demon's ear. Crowley groaned at the noise and shoved her face deeper into the pillow she was resting on. "Row!" Apopis sang, excited by the movement of the previously sleeping creature.

"Poppy, it's too early for this." Crowley mumbled, feeling small nimble fingers digging into her wings from where they were still draped over the child.

"Nuh." She huffed, hands drifting to the demon's face and tugging gently at Crowley's hair splayed out in red curls.

She grumbled and looked down at the child, Apopis was still wrapped loosely in the tartan blanket. Her own hair was an absolute mess, frizzed out in every direction imaginable. Bright blue eyes looking up at the demon gleaming happily as she let go of her hair and tugged the blanket tighter around herself.

"What do you want, little gremlin?" Crowley asked affectionately, folding her dark wing away.

"Mol!" she muttered, stretching at the space of not being confined under the demon's wing.

Crowley yawned, "What do you mean 'mol', love? Why don't we get you some breakfast? You must be starving. You didn't get dinner and it's been a few hours..." She looked at her phone and saw that it was in fact the afternoon. "And we slept in, didn't we little one." Crowley cooed pinching the child's cheek. She threw one leg over the side of the bed, ready to get on with the day.

"Mol!" Apopis chirped again, fluttering her wings emphatically at the demon.

"What-?" Crowley froze, looking down at the child who had a pool of white feathers spilled around her knees. The child's wings were patchy with dark spots. "Shit," she muttered to herself.

Apopis grinned up at the demon, flapping her wings and watching as loose white feathers ballooned around her.

"Oi! No stop doing that!" Crowley ordered, panic setting in as the mess that was once just confined to the bed spread across her bedroom. She grabbed at the tartan blanket and yanked it over the child's molting wings and wrapped it tightly. Apopis gave a yelp of discomfort but the demon was already busy trying to collect the feathers. If Aziraphale saw, or hell, she would be in so much trouble. It was the one thing Aziraphale was worried about with this trip, and she had failed.

She grappled for her phone again, moving to call the angel when her gaze landed on the date. She froze as blood rushed out of her face. It had been days. She wanted to kick herself. How could she have been so careless? Her one fear was neglecting Apopis with one of her sleeping spells. She knew she had a tendency of taking long naps, and she had done exactly that. Leaving her to not realize the child's molt was coming along! The child hadn't eaten in days! Aziraphale was going to be pissed.

"Dee?" Apopis asked, confusion clear in her voice at the demon's lack of movement as she processed this information.

"Everything's going to be fine love." Crowley quickly assured, serpentine eyes suddenly were very intent on the child in front of her, checking for any sign of illness or something being wrong. Her fingers petted the child, checking every nook and cranny for... anything. "Let's get you to the book shop and finish your molt there. Sound good?"

She didn't wait for an answer as she wrapped up the child securely in the blanket and miracled the pair to the shop. A little disoriented from the change in location the demon stumbled slightly and collapsed on the couch, clutching the child close to her chest. Apopis squirmed against the tight confines until the demon gave in and loosened her grip.

"Az?" She asked the empty bookshop.

Crowley groaned and rearranged herself and the child into a more comfortable position, "He's not here, still at work."