A Child 2

It occurred to the angel a few weeks into their new arrangement, that he had never actually seen the demon's flat. He knew Crowley had one and that it hadn't been suitable for a child at the time when Apopis showed up. He 'renovated,' but still Aziraphale had never actually been inside.

Well, that simply had to change, Aziraphale decided one day and picked up the phone to call the demon. The angel figured he should know the kind of lifestyle Apopis would be used to when the time came for Aziraphale to take over.

The phone rang for a disturbingly long time until finally the distinct click of someone answering was heard. Immediately Aziraphale heard that familiar piercing scream in the background. Not a good time then.

"Angel!" Crowley greeted, his voice sounding utterly exhausted, "I was just about to call you."

"You were?" Aziraphale asked, listening as Apopis' cries raised an octave.

"Yeah, listen. Hell just reached out, I have a new assignment. Hastur's blasted face scared poor Apopis, that's why she's crying." There was a fumbling on the demon's side of the line. Aziraphale assumed he was doing something to comfort the child. Indeed the cries quietened a bit. "So, my hands are a little full right now. Do you mind if I drop Poppy off later today? The task should only take a few days, will you be okay with that?"

"Of course dear, rather I was thinking of heading over to see how you took care of them before taking over myself. When will you be leaving?"

"As soon as possible would be best, I'm off to Russia; but I'm afraid my little demon child made a bit of a mess that I need to tend to. You have the address?"

Aziraphale was sure he had the address written down somewhere; nevertheless, he had a talent of tracking the demon's aura if he so pleased. So he didn't figure wasting Crowley's time would be necessary, "I'm sure I can manage."

There was more fumbling from the other end of the line, and it took a second for the demon to respond, "Thank you angel. For doing this, I know you don't have to but I just... it means a lot."

"Of course, my dear. I'll be over in a jiffy." He hung up the phone, a look of concern resting on his face. It didn't seem as though Crowley had the entire Apopis situation under control. Hell must've gotten the demon very stressed, they were sending him to Russia of all places, the serpent would freeze! Aziraphale grabbed the thickest tartan blanket he could find and was out the door in a flash.

Finding the demon's flat was fairly easy, he just followed Crowley's familiar aura until he was knocking on a door in a gloomy hallway. It was silent behind it, which was concerning.

Immediately the door opened and a frazzled looking demon leaned against it's frame. "Good, you're here."

Aziraphale gave a small smile, "How are you?"

"Exhausted," Crowley pushed himself off the door and welcomed the angel inside. "Poppy found my plants earlier and made a complete mess. Then Hastur called and she started crying and- and these past few days have been awful!" Crowley absentmindedly picked up a child's toy that was out of place, and turned to the angel. "They're sending me to Russia! Got to meddle around in the government some more, but I did that last year." he groaned and went off to put the toy away.

Aziraphale grimaced sympathetically. He looked around taking everything in. It was bright in here, there were toy's thrown around and a ton of blanket's littering the floor. No sign of the child.

"May I ask, where is the child?"

"Oh she's somewhere." The demon grumbled, bending down to pick up another toy.