3

“Why are you zoning out so much today? What are you thinking about?” Leah questions me as she shovels chips into her mouth. Grease shines on her fingertips, adding a strange lacquer to her pink manicure.

I prod my pasta with a fork, not realising I’ve been playing with it for the past twenty minutes. Why would Chan give me his phone number? The only people who have his number are the other seven boys, including Hyunjin and Jisung, so why would he give me it? He doesn't even know me ... a bubble of confusing thoughts swirl around my head, clouded with the memory of this morning.

Shovelling a fork full of pasta into my mouth, I decide to tell my friend. “Chan gave me his phone number this morning.”

Leah chokes on her water, the liquid dribbling down her chin and spilling onto her jeans. “What? You spoke to Chan? What happened? Tell me everything!”

I rub my temples. “I don’t know, he saw my drawing and then we started talking and he just wrote his number down and slid it to me when the teacher came in.”

Leah snorts. “No offence but why would he give you his number? It’s not like you’re anyone special.”

I ignore the insult, one of the many that I am used to from her. “I don’t know why either. I’m confused.”

She shrugs, some unreadable emotion flashing in her icy eyes but it’s gone too quickly before I can interpret it. “Maybe it was a prank.”

I shake my head. “I don’t think so.”

Just then, Hyunjin arrives at our table as silent as a ghost and gives me a huge, contagious grin. I automatically smile back, finding comfort in his expression ... wait what? I shake my head. As if I know what comfort is.

“Hi Y/N!” He waves, and turns to my friend who’s mouth is hanging open, chips long forgotten. He smiles at her politely and offers a quiet greeting before shifting his gaze to me again.

“Hey, Hyunjin.” I reply, trying to calm my nerves. Okay, too many encounters from popular boys today. Too. Many. Help.

“Are you busy right now?” He asks me, hands in the pockets of his suit trousers. God knows why he’s wearing a suit today but boy does he look good. I'm sure he'd look good even in a bin bag; the way he carries his lean figure makes me think that anything would look good on him.

“N - ”

“Yes she is, we’re having an important discussion right now,” Leah cuts my response off with a sugar coated voice, eyes batting in Hyunjin’s direction, before aiming the next comment pointedly at me. “Aren’t we?”

I frown, confused. “What discussion?”

She kicks me under the table and shoots me a menacing glare. “The one we were just having.

I shake my head. “It’s nothing important,” I say and look at Hyunjin who is watching Leah with a thoughtful expression. “Yeah, I’m free. Why?”

“Changbin wants you to draw on him. If that’s okay.” Hyunjin tells me with a wink. "I told him yesterday you were willing and he got really excited."

“Now?” I ask, mind whirling. Oh god, what if I mess it up? What if he doesn’t like it? What if I trip in front of him? Oh my god, I have to sit at their table, with all nine boys. What if I -

“Yes. But only if you’re not busy with your … discussion.”

I smile. “I’ll do it. Can Leah come?”

He nods and I gesture to Leah to come with me, who’s sullen face has changed into one of happiness. I almost scoff. Of course she's happy now.