4

My fingers dance around above the keyboard flashing on my phone screen and I groan, my thoughts a scrambled heap. I’ve been sat for fifteen minutes after finally saving Chan's number and it’s now quarter past eight in the evening; dinner was nearly none existent, the food half burnt and smelling strongly of vodka or whatever my mother gorges by the hour. She of course was nowhere to be seen. I assume she's still passed out on the ash stained couch.

Turning around on my bed, I shove my face into the pillow. What exactly am I supposed to say to him? I've never texted anyone apart from Leah ... let alone a whole specimen from the male sector.

I type him a quick message to let him know who I am, before flopping on to my back and looking up at the ceiling. My arms twinge with sudden pain and I turn to look at them; dried rivulets of crimson blood stripe the skin like a tiger, fresh wounds staring up at me like they’re trying to tempt me into adding new slashes. I look away to my other arm, this one hidden under thick, purple scars edged with slivery tissue, running down the length of my forearm. The familiar feeling of tears welling up in my eyes hits me and I blink rapidly, trying to clear my sight. A glint of metal a few inches away from my hands winks up at me like an open invitation. I stretch my arm, reaching for the blade ...

A sudden vibration snaps me out of my thoughts, my phone flashing with a new message. I click on it, entering the chat.

Chan: Hey Y/N :) I was beginning to lose all hope and thought you’d forgotten me ~

I automatically smile at that as I send my response.

Me: I thought you gave me the number for a prank

Another message arrives within a split second.

Bang Chan: Why would it be a prank D:

Oh my God he uses the old school emojis. That's kind of ... cute.

Me: I don’t know, people usually like making fun of me. Besides, you're popular and ... I'm not

Bang Chan: I don’t :( I gave you my number because you seem different from everyone else

Me: Different?

Bang Chan: Well for one you don’t follow us around, and two you just seem like a really nice person

My mind is whirling with commotion as thoughts fight with each other, each side trying to get their point across. This has got to be a joke. It just has to.

Me: Ha very funny

Bang Chan: I’m telling the truth!

Grinning, I tuck my silver hair behind my ear and get cosy in my bed before replying to him. I tuck the duvet around me as a feeling of lightness settles at the bottom of my heart ... I almost shudder. I haven't felt such a feeling in ... well ... forever.

Feeling drowsy suddenly, I decide to lay down on my side. But I obviously overestimated my energy levels as I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow, my phone cradled softly in my hand.

A harsh ringing jolts me from my slumber and it takes a few disoriented moments to realise it's coming from my phone. Yawning, I accept the call without checking the caller ID. I quickly wipe at my cheeks which I find to be wet; I must have been crying in my sleep again. Great.

“Hello?” I ask, fiddling with the bow on my shorts. I hope my voice doesn't betray my fatigue and depression.

A sleepy voice replies on the other end, one that I can't pinpoint. Then my eyes widen and I sit up straight, all the blood inside of me rushing to my face.