11

"What do you mean you're not coming in tomorrow?" Chan asks me over the phone, the rustle of papers on the other end accompanying his curiosity. I nearly laugh. Is he studying?

Biting my lip, I curl my knees up to my chest, ignoring the dull pain encircling my body like a storm cloud. "I'm just not coming in," I reply, hoping my voice doesn't sound strange from the hourly crying session I just had.

"Y/N? What happened?" Chan's voice is quiet and calm, and I note that the rustling has stopped. Stopped as though he's now giving me his full attention.

"Nothing," I lie, leaning back against my bed, immediately regretting it as the bruises on my back ache with the pressure. I flinch as I sit back up again, swallowing the lump in my throat. "I just don't feel too well. Think I'm catching a cold."

There's a pause and the sound of a creaking bed cuts through the silence. "I have ears, you know," he says finally, obviously seeing straight through my lies. He always does. "I'm here to listen to you."

I close my eyes, silently willing myself to not cry. Enough crying for today. "I couldn't do that to you. I don't want to burden you with my problems."

"Hey, you could never burden me with your problems. Ever. Just talk to me, you'll feel better. And I'm good at keeping secrets, if that's what you need. Think of me as a little secrets' bank where you can deposit your troubles and worries to get rid them," Chan says. I hear some more rustling and I know he's gotten into bed. I smile, despite myself.

"But what about you? Surely you've got stuff on your mind. My nonsense will just stress you out," I tell him, hugging my pillow to my chest. The need for the pillow to be Chan suddenly floods through me and I wish he was here with me right now.

"If something bothers you, it's not nonsense. And it won't stress me out," Chan says gently, as patient as ever. "Go on. Vent to me."

I sigh, and consider turning down his offer. But something in the soft tone of his voice tells me that maybe he knows better than me ... maybe I really do need to tell someone. He's the only one who knows about my injuries; he might as well know some more.

"Okay. Fine," I say, and then I stop talking, trying to gather my thoughts. I don't realise how long I've been thinking, my mind whirling with mismatched pieces of information, the cracked fragments of my mother's wild eyes making me shudder as I hastily shove the memory away. it's been ages before Chan breaks through the quiet, nearly startling me.

"Y/N? Are you still there?" Chan asks as he stifles a yawn. I instantly feel bad.

"Oh. Yes sorry. Okay. I don't know where to start," I admit, rubbing my sore eyes. "I don't know what you want to know. Also aren't you tired? You just yawned pretty bad."

Chan's laugh on the other side is soft. "Don't worry about me. I won't be getting any sleep even if I was dying if exhaustion. Now, tell me what's on your mind."

"I don't know ... "

"How about why you're not coming into school tomorrow?" He prompts, and I can sense a grin on his lips.

I sigh. "Today when I got home, my mum was waiting for me. She saw you walk me home and she was livid," I gulp, the words coming out harder than expected. "She - she ... "

"Y/N it's okay. I'm here. Deep breaths," he croons and I do as he says, taking in a deep breath.

"She beat me," I let out. "She smacked me a couple of times and then smashed a couple of glass bottles on me and kicked me several times with her stilettos. I look hideous Chan. I can't come into school covered in bruises. People will say things."