28

“Okay,” Chan clasps his hands together as he sets foot inside his house. He insisted on carrying my suitcase despite my protesting, and he wheels that inside, quietly shutting the door behind him. “Welcome to my humble abode.”

Giggling, I place my new leather jacket that he gifted to me onto the coat hooks. “Silly, I’ve been here before for a whole week, remember?”

“Yeah but it’s different because you’re actually staying here now,” Chan says with a chuckle as he leads me into his cosy living room. The fire is burning merrily in the grate, and the whole place smells of the vanilla scent I've become accustomed to associating with him. “I actually want to ask you something.”

I flop onto the sofa, the now familiar fresh linen smell comforting to me. “Yeah? Ask away.”

He suddenly looks shy and uneasy as he sits next to me, his hood pulled further down his face as he clutches at the sides of it. The boy makes a sound that’s a cross between a whine and a cry, and I furrow my brows in confusion, my heart flipping at how adorable he looks hiding in his hoodie.

“You good?” I ask him, prying his hands away from his face. Chan looks at me with his enlarged warm eyes, anxiety painted all over them. “Why you all worked up for?”

Chan let’s out a breathy chuckle, wrapping his fingers around mine. He drops his head and stares at his fingers playing with mine, his lashes casting elongated shadows across his cheekbones. I watch him carefully, taking in the unique beauty of the man infront of me.

After taking a deep breath, Chan finally speaks in a ramble of words.

“Willyoubuyahousewithme?”

I choke, looking at him with wide eyes. I'm unsure if I've heard him correctly or not. “Wh - what?”

Chan exhales, closing his eyes as he repeats his question more slowly. “Will you, buy a house, with me?”

“A house?” I echo, mind whirling. “But I don’t have any money!”

He shrugs. “That’s okay. I’ve been wanting to move out for a while and I’ve been saving up. You don’t need to add any money, I just mean, do you want to move in with me?”

I blink, making an inhumane sound. “But … but why me?”

Chan waves his hands around. “Because you’re my girlfriend,” I blush at the term, “and you don’t have anywhere to stay. And you being you, you’re probably feeling guilty about staying here in my mum’s house so this way, I can buy you your own house where you don’t have to feel guilty even though you shouldn’t feel guilty being here. And you know, sometimes, if you don’t want to be with me, I can come back here and you can have your space,” he finishes, leaving me with my mouth open, and my body flooding with shock.

“No no. I want to be with you. But Chan … you can’t buy the house entirely with your money. That wouldn’t be fair. And I’d still feel guilty,” I tell him, crossing my legs underneath me.

Chan frowns as he rubs the nape of his neck. “But it can be like a gift from me.”

I shake my head firmly. “No Channie. You’ve done so much for me, literally so much and I can’t ask for that from you or accept such a huge thing. But … how about … I can get a job and save up to contribute to the money. That way we’ll both be satisfied, you know?”

Chab smiles at that, the kind of smile that lights up his entire face and warms my body as he leans forward, his hands cupping my face. “Okay. I still think I should pay but if it makes you happy, then you do it. But don’t feel guilty about staying here with me, okay?”