24

Chan and I sit on the edge of the roof, legs dangling over the wet concrete and the wind rippling through our hair. My hand is clasped in Chan's, his fingers gently drawing shapes on the backs of my hands every so often, his skin hot against mine.

I tip my head back and look up, admiring the cloudless sky despite it being one of the colder months. Instead, millions of glittering lights shine down from the deep blue universe, falling stars shooting across every so often. Turning my gaze slightly so he doesn’t realise, I look at Chan and smile.

His soft face is glowing under the moonlight and his wide eyes sparkle with the reflection of the galaxy, casting gold and purple across his honey brown irises. His plump lips are parted slightly as he takes in the sky in wonder, his cheeks flushed with a rosy pink sheen.

I bite my lip. I'm not sure if I'm here to watch the stars or him.

“It’s so beautiful,” Chan breathes, and he turns to look at me. Seeing me watching him with a dreamy expression on my face, Chan smiles softly at me and his face flushes as he squeezes my hand.

“Sure it is. But not as beautiful as you,” I let slip, instantly turning red at my inability to stop myself saying what I’m thinking when I’m around him. His eyebrows shoot up in surprise, his attention to the stars completely diverted.

“I … what?” Chan stutters, suddenly beginning to giggle.

I blush, looking away but his fingers follow me and he turns my face to his again, eyes searching mine.

I sigh in defeat, looking up at him. “You’re beautiful. You’re probably the most beautiful person I’ve ever met. On the outside definitely, but also on the inside. And … well … I’m really in love with you, Chan.”

Chan doesn’t speak, but continues to study my face with a mischievous expression. Then, he reaches out and cups my face in both of his slightly trembling hands, leaning in painfully slowly. He stops barely an inch away from me before his lips hit mine and with such yearning, I wrap my arms around his neck, pressing my body up into his, craving his touch.

Chan places his hands on my lower back to steady himself, his lips moving hungrily against my own, his movements casting hoards of butterflies to erupt in my stomach, their wings flapping against the interior. I gasp for air, leaning my forehead against his as his hands run comfortingly up and down my body, his eyes closing at the closeness.

“God, Y/N. I’m more than in love with you,” Chan murmurs, his lips grazing against mine as his mouth forms the words.

I smile against his lips, kissing him softly. “I never thought I’d hear someone saying those words to me."

Chan nuzzles his nose agaisnt mine, causing me to giggle at the tender touch. “Well then, I’ll tell you them every day.”

I scrunch up my nose at that, before a sudden thought settles in my head again. I try to conceal it from him, but he picks up on it quicker than I thought he would.

“Why do you look so sad, princess?” He asks me, pecking my forehead.

“What if I’m not enough? I … I’ve never loved before, I’ve never been loved and I don’t know how this works. I don’t know what love is. What if I do something wrong? What if I make you hate me?” I whisper, feeling a tear trickle down my cheek.

In truth, as much as I love him, I’m terrified.

“Hey hey,” Chan caresses my cheek, his thumb sweeping away my tears.“You love me, and that is enough. When it comes to love, you’re supposed to work it out together. That’s the beauty of it. You figure things out together,” Chan kisses the tip of my nose. “I can teach you.”

I nod at that, falling silently into his embrace, feeling safe again. His body vibrates softly as he hums against me while he wraps his muscular arms around me, holding me tight. I can’t help but laugh at how somber the mood has become. He chuckles back, ruffling my windswept hair.

“What are you going to do tomorrow?” Chan asks me as he lays down, pulling me down to lie next to him. “Today’s the last day of camping.”

I sigh, searching the stars for a pathway. “Go back to that house, most likely.”

Chan caresses my hands with his fingers. “Do you want to?” He asks quietly.

I shake my head, my breath shaking. “Of course not. I’d rather stay here than go to that … place and see that woman.”

“Stay with me,” Chan suggests suddenly, his shock of blonde hair rusting as he turns his face against the floor. “You’ve already got all your things, you can easily come with me.”

My heart thuds agaisnt my chest at the idea, and I find myself wanting nothing more than to live with him. “I can’t,” I say, trying to calm my nerves.

“Why, baby?” He asks me.

“My mother ... she’ll notice, and she’ll go crazy,” I reply simply, terror flooding through my body at the thought. I've never run away before, so I've never witnessed my mother's wrath ... but if I was to do so ... gosh I don't even want to imagine.

Chan groans in frustration, his hands running through his hair. “What if … what if we call the authorities?”

My eyes widen as I sit up faster than ever. “I can’t! She’s my mother!”

He winces, before wrapping his arms around his knees, hugging his legs to his chest. “I know. But … do you really love her?”

I bite my lip, considering. It’s not like the thought hasn’t crossed my mind more than a couple of times. In truth, I’d love to get rid of her. My life would immediately be so much better.

“ … It's complicated. She gave birth to me, so in that sense, yes, I do love her. But then at the same time, I hate her so much that sometimes I don’t know what to do with myself,” I reply, wrapping my arms around my knees too. “I think I’m just scared.”

“What about?”

“I think … no one wants to be convicted or taken away. Even though she doesnt deserve being here, and she’s undoubtedly done more wrong than I’d care to think about … I’d feel awful about it,” I explain. “But I know telling the authorities would be the best thing. I’m just … so terrified, Chan.”

Chan sighs and wraps both his arms around me, his torso pressing up against my my back and his chin on my shoulder, enveloping me in his sweet warmth. “What do you want to do? In your absolute heart of hearts, what do you think needs to happen?”

I lean back against him, dropping my head onto his shoulder and looking up at the stars, hoping for the lights to give me an answer. “I think … I don’t want to be afraid of her anymore. I want to know that she’s somewhere where she can’t hurt me or any one else,” I turn my head to look at him with wide eyes. “I think I want to call the police.”

He nods against me, his chair tickling my neck. “When do you want to do it?”

“Before we go home. I don’t think I could handle seeing her again,” I say.

I wonder if this is actually happening. I'm not dreaming, am I? Plotting about my mother's dismissal?

Chan moves his hands infront of my face and I automatically flinch, familiar dread creeping up in me.

“Crap, I’m so sorry, I didn’t - I’m not going to hurt you,” Chan says gently, stumbling over his words as he places his hands around my waist again.

I laugh uneasily. “It’s okay, Channie. I didn’t mean to flinch. It’s just instinct.”

The man suddenly growls against my neck, stroking my sides with his light hands. “Yeah we really need to get her out of your life. With some luck, you can come stay with me from tomorrow.”