6

I stare after her, dumbfounded as Leah walks off without another word. She might not have heard me, if it wasn't for the glare she gave me upon my calling of her.

"Y/N?" A soft voice behind me makes me turn to see Hyunjin looking concerned. He inclines his head towards me, and I catch the faintest whiff of floral perfume. "Are you okay?"

"Leah is ignoring me," I reply, genuinely hurt. "I think she's mad at me but I don't know why."

Hyunjin snorts; an incredibly undignified sound that I wasn't expecting to come out of this pristine man's mouth. "It's obvious. She's jealous."

"Jealous? Why?"

He leans against the wall on his left side, crossing his arms. One of his perfectly shaped eyebrows arches up and he shoots me an expression that I interpret as "you should know why, you idiot".

I frown slowly. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

Hyunjin tuts. "Are you seriously that blind? Come on girl, it's obvious why she's jealous."

"Why ... ?"

"Well maybe because you're friends with us and she doesn't like that? The way she looks at you when you're with us makes me think that she's looking down on you and she thinks that she's the one who should be in your spot instead," Hyunjin's voice is smooth, rhythmic as he explains his take on things. I don't want to admit that the very depth of my heart believed exactly what he just explained ... there's no way Leah feels that way. Right?

I shake my head violently. "No, she's not like that," I say, my voice sounding forced and false to my own ears. I clear my throat as I look up at the taller boy. "She's my friend."

Hyunjin offers me a sympathetic smile. "Try and talk to her. Maybe the friendship you think you have isn't as strong as you thought and you might be better off without her."

I take note of this as I let his words settle into my brain. Deciding it's probably the best thing to do, I make up my mind to confront Leah at lunch.

I look up at Hyunjin and smile. "Okay. I'll talk to her."

He grins back, ruffling my hair before walking off to his own lesson, his long legs causally strolling down the polished floor. Pushing my troubles to the back of my mind, I head to my own lesson for what must be the umpteenth time.

***

"Leah?" I ask, planting my lunch tray next to hers. I drop my bag onto the floor, claiming my spot. "What's wrong?"

Leah's gaze turns venomous as she looks ne up and down, watching me sit down opposite her. "Oh?" She snarls, cooking her head to the side. "Aren't you sitting with your new best friends?" She enquires with words full of mockery and mirth.

I frown. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Don't act stupid. You're ditching me for them," She jerks her head over to the boys' table and I look over to them. I can't help but smile as Jeongin waves at me, his eyes big and round.

"I'm not ditching you, don't be silly. You're the one who's been ignoring me," I reply.

Leah ooks up at me finally and gives me a look that suggests I'm a piece of dirt caught on the bottom of her brand new designer shoes.

I inwardly recoil. Wow.

"You're the one sucking up to the popular guys after all we've said about those brats who do that."

I give her a look of utter disbelief. "In case you hadn't realised, they came to me first. And I'm not sucking up to them."

"Yes you are, and you look pathetic. Besides, if any one us deserves to be friends with them it's me, I'm the better looking friend." She tell me with another glare.