10

“Can I walk you home?” Chan asks as we battle our way through the throngs of people loitering around the school. I give him a side glance, eyebrows furrowing.

“Why?” I question him warily. Something in the back of my head tells me maybe he's trying to take advantage of me, but my gut slaps my conscience; this man disinfected and bandaged up my arm with the most gentleness I've ever seen and yet I have the audacity to think such bizarre things?

“Well I thought we were friends. We are, aren’t we?” Chan asks me, his head cocked to the side. I blink. Why does he sound so ... anxious?

“We are,” I respond. “It’s just, I don’t get why anyone would want to walk me home. Why you would want to.”

“Because I care about you. And I want to make sure you get home safely. It’s what friends do, isn’t it?”

I shrug. “I've only ever been friends with Leah. We never walked home together."

His eyes flash with a sudden look of pain, but it's gone before I can comprehend it. Clearing his throat, Chan gently takes my hand in his warm one, the cool metal of his rings resting in the crevices of my fingers. I look down in surprise before looking into his face again but he turns away, pulling me behind him as he leads us towards the school gate. “Come on,” he says. “Let’s take you home.”

I don’t protest as he maneuvers me through the tight knit crowd and to the other side which is considerably quieter and much more peaceful. It’s then that I notice he’s still holding my hand, the weight oddly comforting in my own. I look down at his bigger hand entwined with mine, his rings shining on his slender fingers. As if sensing my thoughts, he too looks down and suddenly lets go, his cheeks flushing.

“I uh, sorry,” he gushes, walking ahead. My mood drops considerably. He’s taken away with him the steady stream of heat that was beginning to thaw my insides, and I sigh, wishing to chase the delicious warmth.

“It’s okay,” I say, ignoring my confusing feelings. He smiles softly at me as I fall into step beside him and we walk down the wet paths, the scent of rain heavy in the cold air.

We walk together in the empty streets, and I’m so lost in thought that I don’t realise we’re going a different way. I look up at Chan with apprehension.

“Where are we going?” I ask, panic in my gut. I don’t know my way around here; I only know the way to and from school and nowhere else since my mother is so strict about keeping me locked inside the four walls of our house.

“I’m taking you to my favourite smoothie place!” He claps his hands in excitement and I curse myself for thinking that this boy is capable of evil even for just a second. Again.

“I don’t have any money on me … ” I think out loud, remembering spending it on the pancakes earlier this morning.

“No worries, it’s my treat anyway,” he winks at me and I do my best to not blush. I hate this feeling. It makes me feel so weak and pathetic.

“No! It’s okay, you don't need to do that,” I protest, not wanting him to pay for me. He’s already done more for me than I ever could have imagined, and I don’t want to keep feeling guilty about that. Especially when I don't have anything to repay his kindness with.

Chan pouts, his entire face transforming into a sad yet hopeful one. “Let me pay for you. Please. It’ll make me happy.”

I study his face, my eyes searching his for any mockery. I see none. I sigh, and he whoops, accepting that as my approval.

His so called 'smoothie place' is like a café, but with bright, summery colours on the walls and the outside, creating an inviting atmosphere. Lists of smoothies and desserts decorate them and Chan immediately heads up to the counter, where a pretty brunette is serving, her two ponytails escaping from underneath her pink cap.