22

The rain pounds down on our bodies and the roof, the two of us already beyond drenched. But we continue to lay there, catching glimpses of the moon shining every few minutes as it escapes from the hug of heavy rain clouds swirling by.

Chan suddenly chuckles and I turn to see a particular raindrop splashing on the tip of his nose. He shakes his head to clear the water before he reaches for my hand across the floor, his fingers drawing tiny shapes on my palm.

“We really should go down soon,” Chan says, groaning as he begins to sit up. the shirt clinging to him transparent and invisible. His fair skin smooths over hard muscle, the curve of his broad shoulders surrounded by white light in the moonlight. Chan turns and looks at me still lying on the floor, head propped up on one hand and he offers me a hand, his fingers trickling with water droplets.

I’m reminded of the first time he did that, when I had fallen infront of the class. He still sports the same open, warm smile; nothing's changed, but at the same time, everything's changed. I've changed, for one, and our relationship has changed. We've gone from not knowing each other to ... well ... whatever this is.

Smiling, I grab onto his hand and let him pull me to my feet, his warm fingers a perfect fit in mine. My skirt is dripping with water, the tulle preventing it from sticking to my figure as it should be. The matte black of my tights is sheer now with all the rain water they’ve absorbed. I'm sure look like a rat left out in the rain, but I feel light; I feel free, more than I ever have before.

Looking straight in my eyes, Chan offers me a dazzling smile, his wet hair shining in the moonlight.

“Dance with me,” Chan says, stepping backwards with a flourish, hand still in mine. I grin at his request, and happily oblige. No matter what happens, I’ll still always want to dance. And especially with him.

Chan pulls me into him before letting me run free, and I spin perfectly as the rain pours down on me. My skirt flies around me like wings and I close my eyes for a moment, enjoying the rush of wind dancing along with me. I laugh, the first real sound of delight I’ve made in a good couple of months and Chan’s eyes gleam with love that I didn’t know anyone was capable of feeling when looking at me. I blush and glide over to him, one of his hands coming around my waist as he pulls me to a hault. My breath hitches as we stare into each other’s eyes.

Chan's hair is falling into his eyes and lean up on tiptoes as I finally reach out to push it away, the water droplets landing onto my nose. With a chuckle, Chan places a soft kiss on my lips before placing his other hand on my waist and lifting me up into the sky, spinning around as I stretch my arms out, giggling at the new height. I leap just as he sets me to the ground, his face shining with a new found light, the rainwater creating an ethereal sheen on his skin. We dance around the roof, spinning and sliding into each others’ arms, all our troubles and worries evaporating into the atmosphere.

I suddenly find myself back in Chan’s arms again, the rain getting impossibly heavier with every second, the sound drowning out the city sounds. He brings me closer to him, our skin the only hot things around us, and his lips graze mine, breath warm and sending shivers down my spine. He leans in and kisses with such a depth and gentleness that I feel my knees buckle and I bring him down with me, drowning in his kiss rather than the rain as I kiss him back with such ferocity that I’m surprised at my own self. He smiles against my lips, playfully biting my bottom one and I giggle, locking my arms around his neck as he hovers over me, the kiss getting intense with every moment.

Chan pulls back then and chuckles, colour deep in his cheeks. “Yeah. We should really go.”

I giggle and nod, getting up again and pushing my water heavy hair away from my face. The eyeliner around my eyes has rubbed off and washed away with the rain, the concealer I had placed on my bruises suddenly vanished. But I am too emotional with things I haven’t felt before to care, and I smile as Chan laces his fingers through mine, leading me to the door to the roof stairs. Surveying our clothes tightly hugging our bodies, he gives me a mischievous grin.

“We look great, don’t we?”