14

A thick silence fills the atmosphere between us and I bite my lip, wondering if calling him was a mistake. My heart thumps painfully in my chest, adding to all the fresh pain from my body and I take a shuddering breath, my hand cradled close to my chest. Then he speaks.

“Do you want me to come over?” He asks me quietly, and I shut my eyes tightly, trying to figure out the answer. Thought or course deep down, I already know.

“Yes,” I admit, deciding telling him the truth would be the best. Of course I want him to come over. “But you can’t. My mother is gone now, but I don’t know when she’ll be back.”

There is a brief pause. “Does she ever go into your bedroom?”

I shake my head even though he can't see me. “No. She hasn’t been in here for more than six years,” I tell him before frowning. “Why? What are you thinking?”

“I can come over and hide in your bedroom,” he says, startling me. “She’ll never know.”

My eyes widen. “Chan, no. You can’t. What if she finds out? What if she comes home just as you’re coming in through the door? Chan what if - ”

“Is your bedroom window on the side where she parks her car or on another side?” He interrupts with his gentle voice.

“It’s on the other side, but what has that got to do with anything?” I ask, confused.

He chuckles slightly. “I’m going to go around the back and climb up to your window.”

“No you’re not,” I try to be firm but my voice wavers and I run a hand through my hair. “It’s not safe. You might fall or something. It’s not worth it.”

“If it makes you feel better, Y/N, then it is worth every fall and every injury,” Chan says, making my heart leap again. I wish he’d stop having this effect on me. “But don’t worry. I’ll be okay. Trust me.”

I sigh, knowing there’s no way I’m going to win this. “Okay fine. But make sure my mother doesn’t see you.”

“Got it,” he says. “I’ll be there in a minute.”

Chan hangs up and I flop backwards onto my bed, regardless of the tacky blood soaked into the cotton of my shirt. The pain is worse than I can ever remember it being before, but I don’t care at this point, and I endure the pain like it’s some kind of addictive drug, making me crave more and more the worse it gets. My room is tidy as usual and so I lie there, staring up at the wall with my mind swimming with fragments of thoughts as usual.

Just as I’m about to doze off, a subtle tapping makes me jump and I sit up straight, turning to see Chan’s face outside of the window on my right. I grin, despite my disbelief in what I’m seeing and I go over to my window, unlocking it and pulling it open. Then he reaches his hand out to me and I grab it, his skin cold with the wind. I haul him inside and his feet land on the ground with a stumble which he casually acts like never happened.

“Hey,” he waves, his cheek dimpling. I ignore my conflicting thoughts and with a wave of relief I throw myself at him, hugging his waist tightly, burying my face against his chest. Without question, a strong arm comes up around my shoulders and secures me against him, hand carding through my hair in an attempt to soothe my anxious state.

I pull away, eyes filled with fresh tears and Chan cups my face, his warm palms sending waves of heat through me.

“It’s okay, I’m here now Y/N. I’m here,” he whispers, taking me by the hand and leading me to my bed. He sits down and I follow suit, shoulders touching as he studies the new bruises forming along my jaw. He traces them as light as he can with his fingertips and I shiver involuntarily.