9

My stomach churns with slow, bubbling anxiety as I get up from my seat followed by the rest of the boys who decide they want to come with me, and for that, I’m very grateful. Jeongin slips his hand in mine and looks at me with a sympathetic smile and I smile back at him, squeezing the boy’s hand.

You might think I’m overreacting. That I shouldn’t be this worked up over a random girl. But that’s the problem - Leah is capable of things that are so petty and evil that they can reduce her worst enemy into tears. She’s cunning, and I’ve witnessed her do the worst to people she disliked.

It's unfortunate that I’ve become her next victim.

We walk out of the cafeteria, Chan leading us towards a growing crowd, filled with commotion. I frown as I spot Leah at the front of it, stood higher than anyone else and I realise she is yelling something at them.

“Y/N is a slut, she drops her friends to hang out with boys so she can get in their pants. She’s disloyal and you can’t trust her,” she tells the people watching her with amused curiosity.

I feel as though I’ve been slapped again. Telling me these things is one thing, but having her spew lies to everyone else in my year? That’s not right.

“What the actual hell is she on about?” Changbin murmurs from my side and I jump at his sudden appearance. He seems to have popped out of nowhere, and his face is filled with quiet rage.

“I think she’s a little mad that I’m hanging out with you guys,” I respond as I get glared at from two small girls at Leah's side. I flash a condescending smile in their direction, to which they return with expressions of utter disgust.

“A little? I’d say she’s positively outraged,” Changbin replies as he surveys the group in front of us.

“Can’t we stop her?” Jeongin asks me, tugging at my sleeve.

“She’ll never listen to me Jeongin,” I say. “Once she hates someone, there’s no changing her mind.”

Chan brushes past me briskly and stalks off into the crowd, heading straight up to Leah. “She’d better listen to me or she’s going to regret it,” I hear him growl.

“Ooh she’s going to get an earful and a half,” Minho smirks, arms crossed against his chest. “Don’t worry Y/N. If anyone can stop her, Chan can."

I smile at him, grateful for his rare optimism.

We stand and watch Chan make his way to my ex best friend, his eyes glinting dangerously and the soft brown of his eyes darkening with what must be anger. I gulp. I wouldn’t want to get on his bad side. Ever.

“What are you doing?” He asks Leah, who blinks at him in surprise. Then she plasters a ‘cute’ smile on her face and bats her eyelashes at him.

“Oh hey Channie oppa,” she greets him with a high pitched voice. I gag at the sound and look over to Minho who is grimacing at her as though his life depends on it.

“Don’t 'Channie oppa’ me,” Chan replies, voice monotonous. “What are you actually doing?”

She sneers at me over his shoulder. “Y/N ditched me for you guys and she’s so using you.” She circles her hand around his wrist and he looks down in surprise. “I’m sorry you have to deal with her, oppa. Come hang out with me instead!”

I gape at her, not comprehend what I’m hearing. Chan scoffs at her before shaking his hand out of her grip.

“No, thank you. And I don’t know what you mean by that, Y/N isn’t using us, we’re her friends. And she didn’t ditch you. In fact, I believe it was you who ditched her because you were jealous.”

Minho whistles patronisingly and I grin at him. He winks at me before turning back to the crowd.

Leah stares at Chan with her mouth open. The rest of the people gathered around them have their eyes swivelling back and forth between the two, a lot of them visibly now on Chan’s side.

“W - what do you mean?” She stammers, her face going red.

“I think you know exactly what I mean,” he says, standing with his legs apart and arms crossed. “You’re jealous, just admit it.”

She looks at him in horror and then looks at me, her eyes unreadable. She looks as though she’s about to speak but instead she just runs from the corridor and out of the doors.

“Hashtag exposed,” Felix says in a slow mock whisper, emitting a few laughs from the people stood nearby. Chan comes up to us and he grabs my hand, pulling me in the opposite direction to the crowd.

The boys follow us and we walk in silence until Chan stops in front of a door that I recognise as our form room. He pushes it open and ushers inside, the room dark with the lights switched off.

“Isn’t this your form room?” Felix asks, sitting on a desk.

“Yeah. From now on we’re spending break and lunch in here. Unless we find a better spot,” Chan replies, pulling his seat out and sitting down. I follow his lead and sit at my own desk.

The rest of the boys drag chairs up to our desks and we sit in a little huddle in the dark, safe from the raging students in the cafeteria for a while. I smile at Chan, hoping I’m conveying gratitude and he smiles back, his dimples appearing in his cheek.

“It’s a bit dark though isn’t it? Can we turn the light on?” Seungmin asks, moving over to the switches.

“No!” Lee Know shouts, rushing over to cover the switches. “Leave it dark. I like it.”

Seungmin gives him a funny look. “Okay … you could have just said no.”

I lean back in my seat and groan as my stomach starts growling. I left my lunch in the cafeteria and no doubt it’s gone now.

“Hungry?” Chan asks me, glancing at my stomach. Shy, I clutch at myself.

"No?" I reply, looking sheepish. Chan raises an eyebrow, the spark in his eyes conveying a silent message and I sigh, nodding.

Chan grins at me and passes me half of his sandwich, crisp lettuce poking out between thick pieces of fluffy, white bread.

I shake my head, not wanting to take more food off of him. Instead, he moves closer to me, still holding the sandwich.

“Say 'ah’,” he says, waving the sandwich around in circled infront of my face, the way a parent would get their picky child to eat. I shake my head again and he pouts, making his eyes wide. Giving in, I open my mouth and take a bite of his sandwich, the fresh salad leaves contrasting with the spicey, smokey chicken.

“Ugh that’s so good,” I say, swallowing my mouthful as my eyes roll to the back of my head.

“Thanks. I made it myself,” Chan chuckles, taking a bite himself.

“You can cook?” I ask.

Chan laughs. “I don’t think making a sandwich requires much cooking, but yes, I can cook. I enjoy it.”

“He makes a banging spaghetti bolognese,” Felix tells me, munching on something. I frown.

“Felix, are you eating toast?” I ask.

He nods. “Want some?”

Hyunjin snorts. “Don’t take it from him Y/N. For one it’s cold toast and two, it’s got vegemite on it. Ew,” he dramatically places his hand on his forehead and pretends he’s about to pass out.

Felix glares at him. “Excuse me, but vegemite on toast is amazing. Leave it alone.”

“You’re disgusting,” Hyunjin replies.

I grin. Something tells me my lunch times are going to become more enjoyable.