26

CHAN'S P.O.V.

Blood spurts out of her stomach and I feel as though the entire world has stopped; time has frozen infront of me as the love of my life looks at her mother with utmost betrayal and disbelief. She looks down at the knife, her fingers wondering whether to touch it or not. I can see the confusion that runs through her eyes, and something else, something that looks like relief, though I have no idea what for. The only thing keeping Y/N upright is the foul woman's hand still clutching at the blade protruding from my girlfriend's body, and I pray to God that she doesn't pull it out.

As if on cue, Y/N's mother suddenly lets go of the knife as if the handle has burnt her, and she scrambles back, Y/N falling, and I slide onto the ground, catching her body that's slowly growing limp and heavy in my arms.

I let out a cry of despair, my voice sounding like it's coming from somewhere else, from somebody else. My vision blurrs with tears as my love's tears make her eyes shine, her beautiful face still full of loving as she looks up at me. Without a word, I pull my shirt up and over my head and bundle it up around the knife, trying to obscure the blood seeping out in slow rivulets from around the wound. Her breaths are shallow and beads of perspiration dot her forehead, but there's still a smile on her mouth. I clasp her hand firmly in mine, scrambling for my phone and I am about to dial for an ambulance when a screeching car comes to a halt, followed by two women; one in a pristine, pencil skirt complete with a frilly blouse and serious expression, the other woman sporting a police uniform.

Surveying Y/N lying down in my lap and her mother's bloody hands and wild expression, the police woman pulls her handcuffs from her inside pocket with one fluid motion and secures them firmly on the Y/N's mother's wrists, while the woman from social services hastily rings for an ambulance.

Not more than five minutes later, the deafening scream of sirens approach the street and a few paramedics dart onto the front step, taking Y/N from me despite my fruitless protesting. They strap her to a stretcher and attach a ventilator to her pale face before heading into the back of the ambulance, gesturing for me to follow.

"Is it okay with you if you ride with her to the hospital? I take it you're the one she's close to," one of the paramedics, a kindly looking woman in her forties asks me, laying a brisk hand on my shoulder. I nod once, wiping my wet cheeks before stepping up into the back of the van where I sit next to Y/N, my heart thumping in my chest harder than it's ever done before.

***

"Channie!" Her bright voice calls my name and I look up from my book, eyes landing on Y/N's perfect smile, her freckled, rosy cheeks curving upwards. I grin back, my heart swelling with joy as she runs up to me, her hands reaching out for a hug.

I stand up and she jumps into my arms, her arms wrapping themselves around my neck and I hold her tight to me, feeling nothing but happiness and relief that I managed to save her. That this broken, hopeless girl with a soul of darkness was able to find light, in the end. And with me, out of all people.

Chuckling, I spin her around and she giggles in delight, her laughter a sound that I could listen to all day, something I hope she'll never lose again. I bury my face into her neck, inhaling her sweet, fruity scent and I hug her tighter, glad that I found her and pulled her out of her hell. My only regret is not being able to save her sooner. If only I was quicker, she could have laughed more, smiled more, seen more of the world's beauty that was concealed from her by her foggy glasses since she was a child. My little warrior. So broken, and yet, so, so brave.

She sighs and leans against me, her silver hair tickling my cheek and I kiss the side of her face, bumping my nose against hers. But she's cold to the touch, her skin devoid if it's usual warmth and I realise something is wrong.