27

“Easy,” Chan says, his arm around my shoulders as he helps me out of my hospital bed. I wince as the wound in my side throbs under the heavy layer of bandages.

“I’m okay,” I tell him, grateful nonetheless for him and his constant rays of heat by my side. He slips his strong hand into mine, steadying me as I slip into the new shoes he bought me to replace my blood splattered ones. They’re comfortable and lightweight, and I once again smile at the blonde headed boy watching me with his sparkling eyes.

“Ready to go home?" Chan asks, squeezing my hand. I look at him in surprise.

“Home?” I ask. He nods, kissing my cheek softly and making me melt.

“Of course. My home will always be your home,” Chan says, shrugging it off as if it's no big deal and I resist the urge to jump on top of him, attacking him with all my love. Instead, I settle for kissing his cheek back, smiling sincerely at him.

“You’re too … ,” I say wave my hands around in the air, trying to find the right word I'm looking for. But I can't find it, and I settle for the basic option instead. “Nice. Why are you so nice?”

Chan blushes, his cheeks and nose turning pink for what must be the hundredth time. He turns his attention to the window as he answers me, rubbing the nape of his neck. “I - I’m not. I just … like you, that’s all.”

Giggling, I tug at his sleeve, getting his attention back. He looks down at me with a smile at his face and I nuzzle into his side, unable to help myself. Chan breaks into panicked giggles, making me laugh at his sudden flustered expression … he looks like a child, a really, very, shy child.

“Can we go now?” I ask him, just about able to rest my chin on his shoulder. He's not very tall but with me standing next to him, he looks like the tallest man to ever walk the earth.

Chan nods at me, and he opens his mouth to say something. But he closes his mouth again  before shaking his head subtly as if to clear cobwebs in his head. Then he puts on a wide smile, his hands on my shoulders.
“Yes. Do you have everything?”

I nod and he slips his hand into mine, leading me from the room. As the two of us walk out, I notice Chan’s usual large strides are shortened today so I can walk slowly, and I can't help but smile at the ground as I think of all the little things he does just for me.

“Why are you smiling to yourself?” Chan asks me, nudging me slightly. Then he suddenly smirks and a mischievous glint dances in his eyes. “Are you having … pleasant thoughts?”

I slap him on the arm. “What are you on about, you perv.”

Chan suddenly chuckles. “What do you mean I’m a perv, you’re the one who knew what I meant.”

My face flushes red and I bite my lip. Noticing, Chan suddenly stops walking and turns to me stepping slowly in my direction, causing me to back up into a wall. His face comes impossibly close to mine and I let out a shaky breath as his twinkling eyes stare into mine, his gaze seeing right through me and I suddenly feel a strange sense of vulnerability, my knees shaking underneath me making me feel thankful for the wall supporting my sudden jelly-like form.

A sudden clear of the throat causes us to both turn our heads to the left, spotting a nurse staring at us with widened eyes in the middle of the corridor. She blinks slowly and clears her throat again before she turns around, walking off in the direction she just came.

Chan and I can't help it; we burst out laughing in the silence, Chan's hands resting on the wall above my head, his head dropped low as he laughs in embarrassment and mischief.

Smiling fondly, I push past him and gesture for him to follow me, not wanting anymore awkward encounters from the staff.

Emerging from the hospital is a literal breath of fresh air and I inhale with a new feeling of happiness and peace in knowing that I won’t have to see my mother. The wind is torrential today, and it whips through my loose hair, blowing it out around me and I try to resist the urge to madly run off into the middle of nowhere.

“Chan?” I ask my boyfriend.

“Mhm?"

“What did the nurse say about me running?” I question him.

“She said you can run, you’ll feel a little pain but it won’t tear or anything,” Chan tells me. Then he arches one perfect eyebrow at me, cocking his head to the side. "Why?"

Needing no further convincing, I flash him a crazy grin and tossing away my horrible hospital gown on top of my clothes, I reveal my sweatshirt and jeans underneath.

“Catch me if you can,” I tell him before darting off in the opposite direction.

The wind echoes in my ears, my hair billowing out behind me and the cold kissing my cheeks in greeting. I laugh out of sheer joy as I begin to get drunk on the adrenaline surging up inside me, fuelling me to run faster and faster, my lungs burning from the cold but only egging me on even more.

I don’t know how long the two of us run for, Chan always a leap behind me, his laughter mingling with mine. Soon we stumble into a mass of open field, waist high blades of emerald green grass coming to engulf us as they surround the two of us in the middle of nowhere. Above us, the watery sunshine is setting, painting the sky in typical winter pale colours. Looking up, I decide to finally sit down and I fall back amongst the overgrowth, finding it to be a comfortable place; Chan looks down at me in amusement before following suit, his lean body laying next to mine, his head propped up by his arms just like me.

“What was that all about?” Chan asks me softly, eyes fixed on my face.

“What do you mean?” I ask as I tilt my face to look up at him. My chest is rising and falling rapidly, and my wound is starting to twinge; I place a hand over my abdomen, trying to regulate my breathing.

“Well, just that it’s very unlikely that you decided to go for a run after coming out of hospital just for the sake of running. I think there was a reason behind it,” Chan says, once again, hitting the nail right on the head. He looks down and places his hand atop mine, his fingers gently caressing my side.

I smile and turn on my side, reaching out to trace my fingertips over his cheek. “I can’t hide anything from you, can I?” I ask, half to myself. He smiles under my touch, leaning into my hand, and I'm prompted to explain.
“When mum started first being … like she is, I went on runs before school to clear my head. I don’t know why … something about the feeling of my hair flying behind me and knowing that I was getting further and further away from her just helped me a lot. I guess, I felt like running now to get away properly from that part of my life. It’s kind of like a new beginning now, right?” I explain, searching his eyes for an answer. I'm not the best at explaining, but I hope he manages to understand me anyway.

Chan's hand travels to clasp mine again, his fingers squeezing my own. “Yes. It is a new beginning. You’ve just got to try and forget her … but obviously you’re not going to forget what she did to you. No one could. But, you’ll learn to push it to the back of your mind and not think about it … the memories might still be there but the pain will fade. And I’m going to help you. I’m going to make sure that I make up for all the happiness you’ve been missing,” he declares with a whisper and without another word I throw myself into his arms, my arms circling around his neck.

Pleasantly surprised at my affection, Chan holds me tightly against him, his scent rising up and wrapping around me like a blanket and I blink in surprise as tears start dripping down my cheeks, landing onto his skin.

“Don’t cry,” Chan murmurs, rubbing circles on my back. “You’ve cried so much already, doesn’t it give you a headache?”

I giggle at that, clutching at him harder. “I’m used to it by now.”

That makes him chuckle and he pulls away, leaning his forehead against mine. “I was going to call the boys out here but that can wait, right? I … want to just be with you.”
I nuzzle against his neck, the cold suddenly not seeming so cold anymore. “They can wait. I want to stay like this too.”

Grinning and blushing like crazy, Chan lays on his back and pulls me down on top of him, my head resting on his chest and legs tangled in his, the stars above us shining down on the earth, illuminating the empty field.