5

Chan shifts in his seat and rests his head on his folded arms atop his desk, his face turned away from me so all I can see is the back of his curly blonde head. His body moves as he gently inhales and exhales, the black t-shirt clinging to what looks like a lightly built torso and shoulders. The back of my mind tells me he looks pretty, but I ignore this notion; physical attributes mean nothing to me.

Just as I’m about to turn away, cheeks red, I notice a slight movement by the neckline of his top. Frowning, I scoot closer and spot a small something fluttering around on his fair skin; on closer inspection I realise it's a ladybird, scrambling around on its makeshift flower.

Stifling a giggle I place a gentle hand above his neck and coax the bug onto my finger. My hand accidentally brushes against his hot skin in the process and Chan sits up in a flash, turning to face me. His face is close enough for our noses to be touching and he blinks in surprise, eyebrows raised.

“What … what are you doing?” He asks, voice coming out in a high pitched whisper.

I gulp, knowing I’m the unbecoming shade of a ripe tomato left out in the sun. “I ... uh, you had a ladybird on your neck,” I show him the creature in my hand, who is wandering around my skin with curiosity. "You must be a flower."

Chan lets out what sounds like a sigh of relief before he stars to chuckle. The skin of his neck is starting to flush lightly and I almost have to physically restrain myself from gawping at him. Is the Bang Chan blushing? “Oh," he says, rubbing the nape of his neck.

Getting up from my seat, I turn so I'm facing the window. Curling my fingers around the cool metal of the handle, I push the window open before placing my hand outside so the bug can fly away. Sure enough it starts flapping it's wings before flying off, and I watch with a sad wistfulness as it make its way out into the distance.

“You seem like you’d be really good with animals,” Chan comments from behind me, making me jump. I turn to look at him, his chin resting on his hand as he watches me through sleepy eyes.

I blush. “I like animals, and I don’t mind bugs. I don’t understand why people are afraid of them.”

Chan looks thoughtful. “People are usually afraid of things they don’t understand.”

"Understand?"

"Yeah. Like ... in my experience a lot of people don't really realise how important bugs are to our planet - without them we wouldn't be alive, you know? They're really important and I think they deserve a lot more credit than what they get," Chan rambles, and I'm sure I can see an invisible pair of glasses and a lab coat on him as he continues his short speech. My heart flutters. He's such a nerd. A cute nerd.

"I suppose you're right," I smile. I sit back in my seat and take a gulp of water from my bottle, ignoring the rumbling in my stomach that seems to grow in volume with every passing moment.

“Are you hungry?” Chan asks, noticing the noise.

I shake my head, embarrassed. I don't want to bother him with my personal issues so I smile as I lie, “no I’m okay.”

Wordlessly, Chan reaches into his backpack and rummages around for a while before producing an elongated packet. He offers it to me wordlessly, a soft smile on his face. "Here."

“No, I said I’m okay,” I repeat, ignoring the increased rumbles in my stomach at the sight of what looks like a cereal bar. Gosh he must think I'm a lunatic. It's not like I don't eat ...

Chan shakes his head at me, still holding the bar out. He waves it infront of my face, the way a parent might try to convince a picky child. “Your tummy doesn’t sound okay.”