Chapter 02

Something woke me up at 03:00 in the morning, so I decided to go and get a glass of water from the kitchen. Passing Steve and Melanie’s room on the way I hear them talking and I know a normal teenager will try to eavesdrop on their parents’ conversation but that’s not me. I walk quietly down the stairs and what I heard almost made me shout for joy.

"He is sixteen today, which means we can kick him out without having problems with the law" says Steve

"I know that and I agree that we must kick that pathetic fat loser out because even I cannot tolerate his presence in this house anymore” says Melanie

"Look at the bigger picture, we can now have a third baby that we always wanted but could not have because we had to do good by the state for giving us that useless child when we were in need of a child. We will be able to afford it because there will not be an unnecessary mouth to feed anymore. I will no longer be the laughingstock of the neighborhood because my eldest son is not athletic in anyway which means no sports, he’s a nerd and loner" says Steve.

"Why don’t we remind everyone once that pathetic child is out of our home, that he was never our son" says Melanie

"So do we agree to tell him in the morning tomorrow to find a new place to stay as soon as possible" says Steve

I did not even let Melanie answer, I just returned to my room, water long forgotten. I lie on my comfy blanket and try to digest what I have heard; sleep is far from my mind. Where am I going to stay now? Is this a weird dream? Am I really going to be finally free from this kind of living? These were some of the questions that wenot through my mind.

I got up early in the morning so as to finish all my chores as early as possible, they might be throwing me out but it doesn’t mean they will not use me until that time comes. I took a quick shower and when I was done, I wore a black jean along a black shirt with my white sneakers.

I went down stairs, first to the basement where the laundry is done and separated the clothes into four groups. First group is the all-white clothes, the second group is made up of all the bright coloured clothes, the third group has all the dull coloured clothes, and then the last group, the underwear group.

I loaded the first group in the washing machine then went to clean the house while the clothes are still washing, I dusted, vacuumed, and made sure nothing was out of order and by the time the last group was loaded, even the breakfast was cooked and served on the dining room table. While the last group was in process of washing, I folded the clothes and placed them on their respected laundry baskets.

I took and ate a banana from the kitchen, then hurriedly went to my room and took my backpack and rushed out the door without doing my morning kneeling and head bowing ritual since I decided to risk it for just a moment to reflect on my life. It’s a nice warm day with cool air, it’s a pity I cannot enjoy it because my mind is heavy today.

I take a walk to school just so as to have a little bit of clarity when I get to school and while walking, I pass some people singing joyously, oh how I just wish to be happy as them but life took my happiness when my parents died. And not only does life takes my happiness away, it had to add horrible foster parents to the wound.

When I get to school, I am greeted with the most amazing smell I have ever smelt. A voice in my head screams 'MATE' and the more I smell this amazing smell, the more I hear this voice scream at me to follow his mate. I think to myself, 'John you have finally lost it' hearing voices and smelling a trail of invisible roses. The smell leads me to the girls’ toilet.

"YOU SAY YOU CAN SMELL YOUR MATE" someone screams inside. "Yes and he has such a lovely smell", another says. The girls that come out of the toilet are beyond gorgeous but only the one named Brittney is so beautiful that I am awestruck. Brittney is a little over 5 foot 3 (160 cm) tall, curves at the right places and most of all her eyes, they are a hazel blue.