she's mine

*6 months later*

It was the units day off today thankfully, jay was just sat in his apartment minding his own business at around 10:45am when there was a knock at the door. He groaned and stood up before answering the company, but to his surprise it was a social worker, "hi are you mr jay halstead?" She smiled. Jay nodded, "I am, what's this about?" The woman smiled, "I think it'd be better if we chat inside" she opposed. Jay nodded, "yeah sorry, come in" he opened the door for him. He had no idea as to what was happening let alone why she was here at his apartment when he had no child.

They sat down on the couch, "my names Melissa burns, I'm the social worker that's been assigned to your childs case" she smiled. Jay chocked on his own breath, "my child? I'm sorry but I don't have a kid..." he shook his head. Melissa smiled sadly, "well I'm happy to tell you that you do indeed have a child, her names rue Sinclair and she's 5 months old" she nodded. Jays breath hitched, "Sinclair? As in the mother being..." he started, "Cassie Sinclair yes" Melissa finished his sentence. Jay raised his eyebrows, "i-I didn't know I had a baby..." he shook his head in shock. Melissa smiled, "it's okay, I know, and I'm here to help you with everything and to talk through the process with you" she nodded. Jay couldn't believe it, god, he can't even look after his car keys nevertheless a baby.

Jay sighed after taking it all in, "so like I said, Cassie has given up her full guardianship over rue and it's now up to your decision as to wether you want to take her in or wether we find a nice home for her" Melissa concluded. Jay shook his head, "I can't give her up, she's mine, she's my responsibility. I'll take her in" he smiled doubtfully, but he's terrified deep down. Melissa smiled, "you'll make a great dad jay, I have no doubts about that, but parenting can be difficult. Especially when it's unexpected, so my advice would be to find someone you trust and have them help you through it. Now your job is a high risk job which means you will have to find another adult to become her custodian" she smiled.

Jay nodded, he already has someone in mind, "is that like a second parent?" He tilted his head. Melissa smiled, "pretty much, it basically just ensures that the custodian will become her legal parent if anything happens to you" she nodded. Jay nodded, "alright... got it. So what do I sign? When can I see her?" He sighed shakily, it was all still sinking in. Melissa nodded, "you can see her today, once we've signed these few papers I have here, she's all yours. The only thing I need you to complete it the custodian paperwork and the emergency contact forms but you have a week to complete them so please do take your time. No need to rush" she smiled supportively. Jay smiled and nodded weakly before taking the pen and doing the deeds, it's all too real now, he has full custody of the 5 month old daughter he didn't even know he had.

Melissa stood up and shook his hand, "congratulations, now I'll need you to wait here while I go and collect rue but I'll be right back. Here's a list of everything you'll need, there's a brochure on classes too. If there's anyone you'd like to call please feel free to do so" she nodded. Jay nodded back and accepted the leaflets, "thank you..." he smiled as she left his apartment.  A random tear rolled down his cheek as he stood there in shock, he didn't know if it was a happy tear or a sad tear but he knew that he had an important role now and he needed to step up. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                     Olivia on the other hand was sat on the couch without a care in the word, it was around 12:55pm when her phone buzzed.
Olivia: "hey, everything okay?"
Jay: "uhh, yeah... can you come over like ASAP?"
Olivia: "of course, what's wrong?"
Jay: "I'll explain everything at my place I promise..."
Olivia: "sure, I'm on my way. You needing anything?"
Jay: "I really don't know..."
Olivia: "okay? Well I'll be there in 5"
Jay: "thanks liv"
Olivia: "anytime"