Chapter 49

"Have purchasing get me their budget and plans for the pack house winter food orders by the end of the week. Oh, and tell R&D that I'm not giving them two million dollars to try and invent a hair brush for wolves." Greyson tossed a pile of spreadsheets at his Beta.

"The pups down in R&D will be disappointed." Trick frowned across the desk at his Alpha.

Greyson pinched the bridge of his nose. "They do understand we are trying to not attract the attention of the humans? How would it look if the largest tech company in the world suddenly decided to start an exotic pet grooming line? There would be questions. Lots of questions. Questions we don't need."

"Take it down a notch, Grey. They were just having a little fun. No one is actually suggesting that we start making wolf haircare products."

"Having a little fun? How long did they waste putting together the proposal? How many hours did they spend having fun on the company dime? Do I need to go down there and show them how this company really works?" Greyson's voice grew louder and louder as he spoke.

Slightly alarmed at his tone, Patrick decided to do what a Beta does best – protect his pack members. "Greyson, think of it as a team building activity. No one needs to go anywhere. Why don't we move onto the next thing?"

"Why don't we move on?" Greyson rose from his chair, bellowing. "In case you have forgotten, I am the Alpha here! I don't take orders from you!" A need for violence swept through Greyson with such force he had to keep himself from shifting. His entire body shook with the effort to control his temper.

Patrick felt his shoulders hunch and eyes drop to the ground in an instinctual desire to submit to his Alpha. "Alpha, I'll speak to the team right away. Don't worry, I'll take care of this." Patrick rose from his seat, wanting to escape whatever mood had taken over his friend.

"Trick, wait," the meek behavior of his Beta triggered something in Greyson's brain. With no alternative, Patrick stood silently with his eyes locked on his shoes until Greyson dismissed him.

Greyson knew he was livid, he could barely think through the fury. What he couldn't understand was why. He really didn't care about the prank. In fact, he thought it was funny, but there was something else. Something that had him ready to rip the head off of his best friend, both literally and figuratively. He closed his eyes and tried his meditation breathing desperate to reach a sense of peace.

After a few moments of quiet contemplation, his eyes sprang open. "Rebecca!"

Patrick's head snapped at the mention of the Alpha's mate. "Is she alright? Did Fenrir contact you?"

"No. And he isn't answering me." Greyson grabbed his jacket from the back of the chair and headed toward the door. "I'm going out there. Something isn't right."

"Wait," Greyson growled at Patrick's request, but his feet stopped moving. "You told Fenrir that you would leave them be. He said things like this could happen. You promised to respect the process. And he made me promise to make you honor your promise."

Greyson clutched his chest. "Trick, through the mate bond, I can feel her. I've never felt this level of anger in my life, and I have had good reasons to be pissed. If this is coming from her..." Greyson couldn't bear to finish his sentence. His inner wolf clawed at his psyche. He was failing as a mate. It bothered him more than he wanted to admit that he agreed to allow Fenrir to Rebecca uninterrupted. It bothered him that he allowed it at all. Rebecca was his mate. He was selected for her by the Moon Goddess herself. He should be able to see to all of her needs. He should be the one that she turns to, not that Elder. Him. It was driving him crazy. His mate needed him. Even if there was nothing he could do to help, he wanted to be near her, to be with her in her time of distress.

Slumping down in the nearest chair, Greyson rubbed his hand over his face. "I will give Fenrir one hour. One. After that, I am going out there and I am getting my mate. I don't care what promise I made to him; she is more important."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>