Chapter Twelve ~ "You were born to be a queen."

Chapter twelve,

Eelii got more and more ignorant as each day passed, he had suddenly changed from the boy who had amazing powers to the boy who looked down on others who didn’t. The queen took notice and let him walk around the palace like he owned it. Miranda tried to put him back into his place a few times but that usually ended in her being completely ignored and Eliyn telling her not to be so stressed and bossy.

I was getting comfy here, it was almost as if Earth was a distant memory. I wondered where Tristan was… was he worried?

No, he was probably hanging off Hope’s arm by now. She had said it herself I was the only thing in her way… now I was gone he was all hers. But I didn’t care. She could have him.

As I glared at the dress Miranda had chosen for me to wear today, Eelii strode into my room. He had taken this honouring from the queen a little to the head. He somehow thought he had the right to prance into the princess’ room at any time he chose.

“Get out.” I resulted to using my persuasive to get him to rear up and leave my room. After he left, reluctantly, I changed into the short, puffy, golden dress. Almost all the dresses in my wardrobe were a glowing gold colour, and sometimes it was just cheesy.

This dress was more like a little girl’s party frock. It was strapless and went snuggly down to my waist where it suddenly jumped outwards to create something that looked like a tutu skirt. The dress stopped at my knees and Miranda had chosen really uncomfortable slippers for me to wear today.

I left my room, feeling like a child wearing their mother’s clothes.

“ELIYN!” Screamed Miranda from downstairs. As more screams filled the hallway, I ran towards all the commotion. What could possibly be going on?

I ran through golden corridors but I couldn’t seem to find the place where the screams were emitted from. More shouts filled the hallway and Eelii’s voice filled my ears, leaving me ringing with worry. Hurrying further down these corridors I’d never explored before I became more and more panicked.

I turned a corner and I sighed with relief as I’d found them all.

But there was nothing to be relieved about. I pushed my way through the guards to reveal Thif standing at the end of the hallway, holding a sword to my mother’s throat and whispering deep and dark threats into her ear.

As I looked at the guards standing behind me, Eelii didn’t even bother to move to save her life. Feeling completely betrayed by the kingdoms men I stole Eelii’s sword from his belt and ran towards Thif. Pushing the queen out of the way, I took Thif by surprise.

He stumbled backwards a little, giving me room to swing the sword at his neck. He reacted quicker than I had anticipated and blocked my attempt with his own sword. I gritted my teeth and pushed my sword downwards, making us both stumble farther away from each other.

I heard the guards shout my name, and my mother plead me to stop fighting, but they had made this my only choice.

If they had fort for their queen I wouldn’t have had to fight for her myself. Stupid stubborn, arrogant men!

 Thif interrupted my cynical thoughts by swinging his sword at my face. I stepped back but I was too slow. The tip of the sword scraped my cheek and left a cut. I raised my hand to my cheek in shock; my hand came back down tinted in blood. It started to sting like hell.

I cursed Thif under my breath and raised my sword again. Filled with more determination now, I blocked another swing of his sword and sent it flying out of his hands. It clanged as it fell on the marble floor. Thif looked suddenly vulnerable without a weapon and I jumped towards him, the tip of my sword just touching his chest. With a sneaky grin he disappeared.

When I thought he’d flown away like a coward I turned around to my mother. Thif was sitting next to her limp body, hand over her mouth and laughing hysterically.

When panic invaded my veins instinct took over and I threw the sword straight for his head. He looked up in shock and with that he decided that he had had enough.

As his wings appeared from his back he made a quick escape by flying through the glass window behind us. The sword skimmed his foot but didn’t get any further like I’d hoped.

As soon as he had flown away I rushed to Eliyn. As she opened her eyes and placed her hand on my cheek, I felt like someone had just grabbed my heart and completely yanked it out of me.

The queens eyes watered and I prayed she wouldn’t cry, because I knew if she did I would start to cry along with her.

“I’m so proud of you, Vi, I love you, my princess.” She whispered, her voice strained with the pressure Thif had put on her throat. I shook my head and wiped my eyes, persistent not to cry.

“Princess! You shouldn’t have fort him! Are you crazy! You could’ve killed yourself!” Eelii and Miranda snapped at me. I made my hands into fists and stood up, glaring at them.

“You gave me no choice!” I shouted, my voice echoed in the hallway, making even me shiver with the coldness of its tone. “If the guards of the queen had done their job and protected her life than I wouldn’t have had to risk mine!”

“But with all due respect, princess, Thif is stronger than most of us, it would’ve been no use, he would’ve killed us all within ten seconds flat.” Said a man who looked like a chief guard.

“I am hearing is nonsense! All you really care about is yourselves, and in a time like this we have no time for selfishness! This is not every man for themselves! We need to work together, like a kingdom at war should. A queen should be a top priority for us, if we lose a leader in a war do you know what could happen?! This war could become a slaughter field!” I shouted frantically finding words to scold the guards in my head. The room fell silent and Eelii stepped forwards. He removed the broach he’d be so obsessed over and threw it on the floor.

For a moment I thought that he was going to say he was giving up on Myllic. Fear invaded my body, what if all the guards left because of me now?

“I don’t deserve that. I have disgraced my queen, my princess and my kingdom.” He said as his eyes locked onto mine. The other guards nodded in agreement behind him.  Miranda bowed her head in shame.

“We should’ve protected our queen.”

“We can only apologise for our stupidity.”

“Could you ever forgive us?”

The guards babbled over each other but they had pissed me off too much for to take any of it as an apology.

“Get out of my sight and only return when you are prepared to fight for your kingdom, whether your life is on the line or not.” I snapped and they all scurried away like ants in a flood. Okay, I was definitely getting the hang of this leader stuff.

I smirked, when they said my voice was powerful and persuasive I had known I was something special but right now I felt like a god.

Heck, I’d just shouted at the guards who were meant to be the toughest people in the kingdom.

“You were born to be a queen.” Eliyn nodded, dragging herself off the floor. I smiled as she closed her eyes and worked on healing any injuries she had seemed to have. In a moment of gold light I was blinded but as soon as it went I saw the queen I’d known as my mother again.

She looked healthier than ever, more radiant and as shockingly beautiful as ever.

She then placed her hand over my cheek and within seconds the stinging had disappeared.