Chapter thirtythree~ "Are we a kingdom?"

“Since we need an unbiased judge of some sort, we’re going to have to get someone in from another kingdom.” Said the queen of Trys coldly. Miranda nodded.

“Okay. I’ll be coming with you to sort it out.” She wriggled into a light cardigan that fight nicely over her silky dress. The queen nodded, not once bothering to look at me or even acknowledge I was in the room.

“I’ll be back soon, Vi. Behave while I’m away, will you?” Before sliding out the doors Miranda chirped. I grinned and waved her off.

“I’ll be on my best behaviour.” I nodded and then she slipped between the gates and hurried after the queen.

They were going to sort the arena and the judge and all official things. Since it would be biased if me or Leo saw any of the plans other people have to do it.

Apparently Leo was as in the dark about all of this as I was.

“I’m going to the Yelay kingdom to sort out an order of food with the main chef. They need security in case someone attacks.” Eelii told me. I nodded distantly, taking in everything remotely. “So I won’t be here, ok?” He repeated like I was a toddler. I nodded like a robot, looking out of the main window in the castle.

Eelii rolled his eyes and they called for the chefs to come with a few more guards. Then they left.

I stood, numbly watching the people in the castle mill around. Less than a month until I’d be fighting to my death.

“A-are you ok, your highness?” Stuttered a young cleaner, looking at me with a worried face. I turned to her, snapping out of my detached mood.

“I’m fine, thank you.” I smiled. She beamed back proudly and scurried away to some room. 

What the hell was I meant to do all day?

I threw my head back desperation and started to walk towards the longue. Maybe I’d just sit here until Miranda or Eelii came back.

“Your majesty.” A sly voice came from in front of me. I kept my gaze to the floor at her voice.

“Yes?” I answered, a little too flustered to be bothered in all of this.

“I don’t see your loyal friends today. Have you scared them off already?” She snarled. Woah. She really did hate my guts. I snapped my head up to face the one and only Aily. I literally growled.

“What’s your problem?” I snapped, throwing daggers towards her through my golden eyes. Her eyes went wide and she looked a little shocked for a few seconds.

“Hey, don’t go blaming me-”

“Then who do I blame?” I retorted. I was stood just before the doors of the longue and she was stood in the doorway. We both looked pretty hostile. Any people that had walked by hadn’t stopped to notice the scene.

“Yourself.” She remarked wittedly, clearly standing in my way.

“Me?” I laughed harshly, looking her up and down.

“If you weren’t so cold and stubborn in the first place I would respect you a bit more!” She shouted a bit too loud.  I shook my head in incredulity. She has got to be kidding, right?

I laughed to myself before turning away and deciding I’d go another way, any way really, away from her.

“Don’t ignore me!” She retorted, grabbing my shoulder. It seemed the empty halls were now cluttered with gasping cleaners and guards. Someone had touched the queen. Someone had argued against her.

“Well, what do you want me to do?” I turned around suddenly. I really shouldn’t be arguing with her in front of these people but since Eelii or Miranda weren’t here to stop me I might as well.

“Save this kingdom!” She took a while to respond, but when she did there was a supportive uproar from the crowd of on-watchers.

“Trust me, I intend on doing so.” I said expressionlessly, turning away again. The crowd silences at my flat emotion and they make room for me to leave.

“You know, I hated Eliyn and I hate you even more!” She shouted, louder than either of us had been shouting before. It echoed off the walls and made me stop right in my tracks.

“What did you say?” I asked. She had hated my mother? She was the queen! How dare her! She helped them! She did much more than me, how could she hate my mother?

“Maybe it runs in the family. The inability to rule a kingdom, I mean.”

Yes, I know I was a terrible queen. She had every right to hate me- even if I didn’t like it. But Eliyn? Eliyn held this kingdom together when they were being attacked?

“Eliyn was the bitch who started this, and you’re going to end it. And hopefully when it does end, you’ll both be dead.” She growled. The crowd gasped again, looking at me.

“What?” I spun on my heel, speaking a bit to intently then I meant to. She had just said Eliyn started it. That couldn’t be right. Trys wanted independence, Leo had told me that before I came here.

Aily laughed harshly, waving her hands me in disgust. “She’s the queen and she doesn’t even know anything about our kingdom!” I heard a little laughing from the crowd. It was obvious who’s side they were on now.

“No one ever told me!” I shouted, louder than Aily had. All movement in the hall stopped completely. So everyone had lied to me? Leo? Eliyn? Eelii? Miranda? “And I don’t care if you hate me. I am your queen now. Neither of us have a choice! Instead of fighting each other, we should be fighting Trys!”

Another roar from the crowd, but it seemed as if it was in my favour now. Aily pursed her lips and skimmed the crowd with her cold eyes.  “Exactly!” She shouted, “And even when we’re not fighting each other, we’re not fighting Trys! You need to sort this out!” She said angrily, but got no response from the on-watchers.

“Are we a kingdom?” I said lightly, turning to the crowd. A bit confused at first, they took a while to respond.

“YES!” They roared, throwing their hands up in the air. I smirked a little, but had to hold it back, and then turned back to Aily.

“Well then we better start acting like one!” The last bit of anger was directed at her, and I knew she felt it.

I turned to leave then, and third time lucky, I wasn’t stopped on my way.

I was at my room again, throwing myself on the bed and instead of feeling victory over Aily I felt empty. She’d make a personal attack on me again. I knew this wouldn’t be it but that wasn’t what was bothering me.

They lied to me.

And the truth was given to me by Aily. Of all people!

Eliyn started this? How?

I knew Leo hadn’t been telling me the truth on earth. It didn’t make sense. But now it does.

If Eliyn started it, maybe Trys aren’t the bad guys.

Maybe it was Myllic all along.

 Have I been fooled by the exterior? 

(A/N: Thanks for reading? What do you think about this chapter? Please leave a little comment and share your views!)