Chapter twentytwo~ "You, Miranda and Me."

(A/N: Three updates in a row, yay.)

Chapter twentytwo~

“He’s just being childish.” Miranda whispered into my ear as I glared at Eelii, who was glaring at me.

Eliyn leaned over to me, “He’ll forgive you soon. He won’t be able to keep it up.”

The table was clearly divided. Me, Eliyn and Miranda and then on the other side, Eelii.

There was nothing I had to say. He had been foul to me all day, and when I say foul… I mean foul.

From calling me childish names, to constantly reminding me about having no wings and following my everything and having a guard near me at all times in case I tried anything.

I stood from my chair instantly, in a burst of sudden anger. I had done nothing wrong!

“Vi, just ignore him.” Eliyn tried to hold my arm and drag me kindly back down to the table.

“What did I do to deserve this?” I spat towards him. I guess being in Trys really had impacted me.

“You lied!” He retorted as if I was the one in the wrong.  I laughed and shook my head in disbelief. I lied to save my best friends life. He would do the same.

He had intruded the Trys castle to try and kill me. He had held a knife to my throat because he wanted to save his kingdom. He was doing what he could to save the thing he loved the most, and so was I.

I wondered if he had told Eliyn about what he tried to do. Probably not.

I stormed out, knocking my chair backwards slightly as I went. As I walked out of the common room I sped up, hoping no one would follow me. I was going to the place where I had spent an unforgettable afternoon with Eelii. Maybe then I’d begin to understand why he was being so cold.

My feet took me to the blossom tree with the magic petals. At the sight of this beauty I felt instantly relaxed. My hands took a petal from the tree kindly and sat on the grass.

The crimson petal sparkled like it had the last time and I looked intently at the picture emerging.

As pulse-stopping and heart breaking as it was, I saw the same image I had the last time I looked into the petal.

There was me, standing weakly, about to fall, asking for Eelii’s help. But I doubt that he would ever come to help now.

“There she is!” Eelii’s voice made the petal stop sparkling almost immediately. I looked down in the petal in disappointment.

A dozen guards ran towards me along the grass, but stopped a few metres in front of me. What have I done this time?

“She doesn’t look like she’s doing anything dangerous or kingdom threatening…” The guard on the very right said. Eelli broke though the crowd of guards and I looked to him in confusion.

“But she’s near the tree of beauty!” He exclaimed, “She’s going to threaten our kingdom.”

The guards laughed, ignoring him and walking off. I smiled at his fail attempt to get me out again. This was almost a daily thing now.

He walked towards me cautiously.

Then it occurred to me.

There wasn’t just one Eelii.

He didn’t have a set personality, he would change day in and day out.

I remember when I had lived here before. When I met him he wasn’t very polite. When he grew more comfortable with me we began to be friends. Then the queen acknowledged him and he became stupid and arrogant. That’s when he became crazy on the idea of winning this war. And now he was… well now he was just being completely stupid.

“What do you see when you look into the petals?” I asked, using a friendly approach to him.

He frowned, carefully got a petal from the tree and sat a metre away from me.

He looked into the petal tensely like I had and after a few moments of me watching him, and him watching the petal, he looked up.

“I’ve already told you. I was stood next to you as you sat on the throne as the queen and Leo came to you with a confession.” He put the petal back into the tree and covered us both with golden sparkles. I placed my petal back too and rummaged in my memory for when he had told me that.

I vaguely remembered the occurrence. “Where is Eliyn?” I asked the question before I had thought it through. Of course, if I was queen then that could only mean…

“I don’t know. But we all looked like we do now.”

“We?”

“You, Miranda and Me.” He explained. He was obviously changing personalities again.

If we looked like we did now… that meant it had to be soon.

I covered my face with my hands.

The question I wanted to know was if my future image came before Eelii’s.

Because if it did then I was fine.

But if it didn’t, well. I was screwed.