Chapter forty~ "This is how you kill her."

Chapter forty~ “This is how you kill her.”

“NO ONE ELSE IS ALLOWED IN THE STADIUM!” Shrieked the man hovering over the cage, shouting into his microphone, but you could hardy hear him over the crowd’s uproar. They all sounded confused, but wanting to get their voice in the action.

Everything was still blurry and every time I was near to clear again, it would spin wildly and I’d almost fall completely to the floor.

“What are you going to do lover boy?” Leo laughed wickedly and the memories of looking into his eyes faded and I almost forgot why I loved him. This was Leo… I didn’t like this Leo. I squinted my eyes in a desperate attempt to see what was happening, but my eyes failed me and my head felt heavy.

“This.” Replied Eelii in a flat tone, opening his wings out and flying upwards, and then back down, in an attack. I saw the blurred silhouettes in an unclear mess, blending into one another. I heard the clanging of the swords though, I heard those noises dreadfully clear.

My head felt too heavy to comprehend anything and I found myself lying side-wards on the floor.   I felt my mind slip away, but I clung onto with every inch of strength I had in me. Not now! Not now!

In my internal struggle, I heard a laugh. A dreadful, sanity-shattering laugh.

Thif’s figure leant over me menacingly, laughing in delight. It seems he had entered the stadium along with Eelii. That seemed fair, a person to help us each. But it wasn’t really fair. How could you compare Eelii to Thif, the king himself, and how could even count me, the mindless struggling little half-fairy still as a contestant.

I didn’t even have wings!

“Eelii-!” I managed to croak out in my fear. I was relying on Eelii now, my life was in hands. Part of me felt it was unfair to put something like this onto him, but he was my only choice right now.

The crowd had now silenced their cries of defiance and were watching with intent stares at the scene. The king himself was in the arena, which was something worth being quite for. Let’s all just watch his amazingness trample all over poor defenceless Vi, why don’t we?

“Watch out!” Came from behind me, and then I saw Eelii’s bold blue hair fly into the large figure towering over me. He was taking on Thif.

Thif stumbled backwards before drawing his sword. My eyes began to take in more layers of definition now and I could tell the difference between the ground and the sky.

I wobbled to my feet, determined not to let Eelii face this alone.

From behind, arms grabbed my neck. The black armour stealing the air from my throat told me it was Leo. I struggled, but ended up making him hold me tighter. It was wrong for me to feel butterflies in my stomach because of our closeness but I couldn’t help it.

When Eelii was thrown to the ground and his fragile body was approached by Thif I regained the strength I needed to fight again. Seeing him get hurt was something that ignited the flame inside of me.

I escaped Leo’s grasp easy enough, he wasn’t really trying that hard. I ran over to Thif and Eelii, struggling to keep myself upright. Thif noticed me coming. I heard Leo coming from behind me.

I ran straight to Eelii, standing in Thif’s way and putting my arms out to tell him there was no way he’d be getting past.

“I was meant to be the one protecting you.” Eelii coughed from the floor and I let a smile overtake my face. Even in a situation like this he made me smile. And that was a pretty big accomplishment.