Chapter 23

TW// MENTION OF SUICIDE

??? POV

I sat on the edge of the roof, exhaling the smoke from my lips. I stared down at the cars and buildings below. The view is quite beautiful.

Liam's POV

Maybe running away wasn't the best idea but you can't blame me. I was in little space and the only thing I could think of was to run. Besides, I mostly make impulse decisions when in little space. Now I am lost in this big ass hospital and not sure if I even want to be found. Mason was right, my headache got worse and my stomach feels like it's digesting itself but hey at least I'm not sitting in a hospital room while they try to take blood tests. It also doesn't help that the whole hospital has a detailed description of me. Letting them give me shots is one thing, letting them do blood tests now that's a whole other thing. If I just stay away from crowded halls and elevators I should be fine, for now.

I need to go somewhere to think and get fresh air. I also need a place to sit my chest is killing me. Well, all the exits are off the table since the hospital is still under code amber. So that leaves the roof.

Mason's POV

We have been looking for Liam for at least ten minutes.

"We have another code amber, it's Niko," the announcer sighed over the intercom. "I swear I don't make enough money for this," Doctor Rodriguez muttered under her breath. "Check the roof, if he is not there block off the doors to the roof. Why wasn't anyone watching him? Carry out his emergency procedure," Doctor Rodriguez exclaimed over the intercom.

Doctor Rodriguez's POV

"Doctor Rodriguez!" I turned around to see Nurse Mabel making her way towards me I never really liked her, always questioning my authority. "It's really hard to keep up with you," she stated as she walked up to me. "Well in case you haven't noticed we are under a double code amber. I'm looking for my patients and you should too."

"Yeah about that, I think this is a waste of time and resources." "Excuse me?" "I said-" "Oh no I heard what you said, I was giving you a chance to explain the reason behind your inane statement." From the look on her face, she did not know the meaning of inane which made me smile to myself.

"I was saying taking care of those two littles is a waste of our time and resources, the other one doesn't even pay a hospital bill."

"Yet I still pay you as if he is, I'm yet to see your point."

"They are wasting our time, we can't be running around looking for two patients that shouldn't even be under our services."

"I would very much like it if you didn't question the way I run my hospital, in which you chose to work in and if I'm correct is currently your only form of income. Now if you don't have anything relevant to say, you can please go back to what you were meant to be doing. And if at any time you feel like what I'm doing is not right you are very welcome to leave because I do not want anyone who doesn't trust me on my team." With that being said I walked away to continue looking for Liam and Niko.

Liam's POV

I just narrowly avoided a group of doctors running down the hall. I cautiously made my way up the stairs to the roof. Climbing slowly as to not increase the pain in my chest and sides.

If I keep climbing at this pace I will get caught. Pushing through the pain in my sides I ran up the stairs. I stopped to catch my breath after going up two flights of stairs. I leaned against the wall, just four more flights to go.

Mason's POV

I followed Doctor Rodriguez into the Head of Security's office. I watched as they skimmed through the security camera footage from the past seven minutes. This is pointless, he has successfully avoided all cameras that could possibly tell us where he ran off to.

??? POV

I'm probably going to get in trouble with Aunt Rodri when I go back in. Nurse Mabel will finally have a reason to get me kicked out.

I was changing the e-liquid when someone stumbled through the door to the roof. I quickly stuffed the e-cigarette in my pocket, "I was only-" I turned around to see it wasn't a doctor or a nurse it was a kid and he looked like he was having a hard time breathing.

"Hey umm, can I come near you?" He seemed startled by my voice but gave a slight nod. I cautiously walked up to him. I put my arms in front of me to show I was unarmed and not reaching to my pockets, a habit I acquired living on the streets.

When I went to him stand he flinched a little, "I just want to help you stand up and move you away from the door."

"Okay," he whispered. I slowly helped him stand up. "If I'm going to help you walk you will have to put some of your weight on me." He put a little weight on me. "Ok just lean on me and we'll walk towards the vent over there." We walked slowly towards the vent and I gently set him down next to it.

"Thanks."

"No problem. What are you doing up here anyway and are you ok? You looked like you were having trouble breathing." I asked as I sat beside him.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Needed fresh air, and you?"

"I needed some time to myself, was tired of being repeatedly reminded to do things. I mean you told me five minutes ago to take my meds, you placed my meds right in front of me with a sticky note that saying take your meds at 12 pm, what is the possibility of me forgetting. You don't even give me a chance to forget. Just because I was diagnosed with ADHD doesn't mean I will forget everything all the time. Sometimes I remember and sometimes don't. I'm ranting again, I'm sorry."

"No, it's ok."

"You sure because Nurse Mabel said I'm just being annoying and using ADHD as a cover up for me just being an annoying stuck up teenager. She also says I don't have ADHD and I'm just faking it. But then how does one fake ADHD. Do you think I like having five different conversations in one conversation then forgetting the main reason I was even talking in the first place? I'm ranting again sorry. I'm Nikau but everyone all me Niko."

"Don't be sorry I'm Liam... Are you Maori?"

"Oh yeah, are you? I feel like there are very few Maori people left in the world. Well, my village did get wipped out by American missionaries so that should explain that."

"Sorry about your village."

"Did you aid in the destruction?"

"No."

"Then you shouldn't be sorry. Don't be sorry about things you had nothing to do with. It wasn't your fault. Besides, I've moved past that can't live in the past you know?"

"Yeah..."

"Come to end your lives I see?"

We both turned to the source of the voice.

"Why don't you just jump?"

"What?" Liam asked. "You heard me jump. Put an end to your lives, it will save our resources in the hospital. They shouldn't be wasted on you. From the looks of it, you don't even want to live. I mean the cuts on you have said it all."

"Don't listen to her, Liam. You deserve to live."

"Why shouldn't he listen to me? I'm just saying the truth."

"Liam that's not true it isn't the truth. She's lying to you."

Liam's POV

I hadn't thought of the possibility. I could just end my life with a single step.

"Nikau it's ok. I won't be missed." I turned towards the ledge.

"Liam wait!" I heard three voices say simultaneously