Chapter 27

Liam's POV

There are getting my discharge papers ready, I'm going home. I know I'm supposed to be happy about it but I'm not. The hospital feels safe, it was like everything outside the hospital didn't exist, I wasn't bothered about anything but getting better.

I know about my dad's court case, but now that it's tomorrow the reality of it is really setting in. I'm scared, Mason's not helping, he's scared too and I don't blame him but he's acting like this is the last day we are going to be together. That can't be, right? I don't want to lose him, he has made me the happiest I've ever been since my mom's death.

"The papers are done we can leave now. Niko's outside he wants to see you off," Mason said as he walked into the room.

"They Mason."

"What?"

"Niko's nonbinary they use they/them pronouns," I corrected.

"Oh sorry, they want to see you off."

"Ok," I said as I headed out of the room.

Mason's POV

"Do I have to wear this?" Liam asked as he looked at the clothes I laid out for him. It was a wine button up shirt and a pair of black dress pants.

"Well you can't exactly show up in a hoodie and sweats, that reminds me I should put them in the wash before we go," I told him as I led him to the bathroom, "brush your teeth, I'll set the temperature of the shower." I made sure Liam had started brushing his teeth before I walked over to the shower and turned it on. I slowly turned the nob until the water was warm enough and reduced the pressure of the water so it wouldn't affect his stitches.

"Bubs, your shower is ready, do you think you will need any help?"

"No thank you Mason, I've got it."

"Ok, I'll be in the room if you need me." I stepped out of the bathroom and left him to take his shower.

I sat on the bed thinking how crazy all of this was, in a couple of hours we will be in a courtroom trying Liam's dad for child neglect, abuse, illegal possession and use of drugs. My mom talked with Liam, he told her about his aunt and how she had tried to help him. After being given his aunt's name, my mom got her contact details and called her. She may not be able to get legal custody over Liam anymore but her sister can.

I decided to get dressed since I had already showered. I'm basically wearing the same thing as Liam but my shirt was navy blue. I put on the watch that my dad gave me before he was deployed to Iraq and my black doc martens. I had bought Liam a matching pair but I haven't given it to him yet, so I placed the box on the bed next to his clothes.

Liam walked out of the bathroom with him holding a towel around his waist, "Mason, how do you even wrap a towel around your waist? It keeps falling off."

I walked over to him and showed him how to do it, "you take the towel and cover your bum, take one end and wrap it round the front of you, then take the other end and wrap it over the first one and tuck in the edge."

"Thanks," he mumbled as he walked over to the clothes on the bed. "You got a new pair of shoes?" He asked as he put on his underwear with his towel still around his waist.

"They're for you," I told him. Honestly, I didn't see a point of the towel, I've seen him naked multiple times, hell I just did right now but he should do whatever makes him comfortable.

He stares at me like I had just grown two heads, "go on try it on, I hope I got the right size."  He sat at the edge of the bed and picked up the shoe box. He looked back at me as if to make sure I really wanted him to have them. "Yeah baby they're yours. Go on, open them."

"Woah this is about the most expensive thing I've ever held. Are you sure you want me to have this?" He asked as he opened the shoe box.

"Yeah bubs they're all yours."

"You don't have to make that decision now, I can keep it in the box in case you change your mind or I could cover up the soles so in case you want to return them they're still clean." He put the shoes back in the box and I saw the momentary spark of joy leave his eyes.

"Hey none of that now, they're yours. If I get you something it's cause I want you to have them and I'll never take them back from you," I sat him down on the bed and knelt in front of him. "I don't know what happened to you to make you believe that I would do that, but I promise I would never do that to you."

He gave me a smile before telling me he was gonna put on his clothes before trying them on.

Liam's POV

I stood in front of the mirror, the shoes matched what I was wearing perfectly. Mason doesn't know this but he just helped me live out a dream. I've wanted a pair of doc martens ever since I saw a girl at school wear them, I thought she was very cool. She had ]on a battle vest, a black crop top and a pair of ripped jeans. She was pretty much my bi awakening.

No one's POV

"You look good Liam," Mason said as he hugged him. "It's all gonna be ok," he said but it sounded like he was trying to convince himself more than anything. They hugged until Mason's mom knocked telling them it was time to go.

In Court

"I'm having second thoughts about this Mason. Can't I just go back to hiding out at yours and hope he never tries to pick me up from school again?"

"Liam I..."

Mason's statement was cut short by the bailiff asking the court to rise.

"Family District of the High court now in session. Please be seated."

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Hello readers, I apologize for the lack of updates. I know I said about 6 months ago it will be just 2 weeks but that obviously didn't work due to some reasons I don't feel comfortable talking about yet. Thanks to those who stuck around and I hope I'm back for good this time.